Jun 23, 2014, 1:04 PM EDT
There have been a lot of questions about the future of KG with the Nets, but they are feeling more optimistic about his return — and if he is returning, Pierce is more likely returning. All this is via Marc Stein of ESPN.
Nothing is official yet, but quiet optimism is emanating from Brooklyn when it comes to Kevin Garnett playing for one more season…
“I think he wants to keep going,” said one source close to the situation.
Garnett’s return, of course, would certainly enhance the Nets’ chances of hanging onto free agent-to-be Paul Pierce, who is expected to draw interest from Doc Rivers’ Clippers and a slew of other contenders.
Garnett, $38, would make $12 million. That’s not a bad motivation, either. The other advantage is that the Nets are in the East — with a healthy Brook Lopez and some more consistent play they could be the second or third best team in that conference. I don’t see them as contenders (as constructed) but in the East they could win plenty of games and make a little noise in the postseason.
Still I have a hard time seeing him come back if he doesn’t get to do it along side Pierce, who he followed to Brooklyn. You can be sure the two have talked. If Pierce decides he wants to play for Doc Rivers and get set up by Chris Paul for a couple seasons to end his career, or that he’d rather be anywhere else, then it certainly makes it less likely we see KG in Brooklyn.
- Derrick Rose sits out another Team USA practice, not likely to start Wednesday 18
- DeMarcus Cousins practices with team USA Tuesday, says he’s 50-50 for Wednesday game 2
- Jim Boeheim says of Carmelo Anthony, “it would have been better to go to Chicago” 30
- Steve Ballmer screams like a maniac at Clippers rally 26
- Thibodeau calls Team USA “perfect setting” for Derrick Rose to make return 6
- What four players left likely to get cut from Team USA roster? Things don’t look good for Andre Drummond. 19
- John Calipari says he was not close to going to Cleveland. LeBron or not. 12
- Report: Shawn Marion commits to play with Cavaliers, LeBron James 47