Jun 23, 2014, 1:04 PM EST
There have been a lot of questions about the future of KG with the Nets, but they are feeling more optimistic about his return — and if he is returning, Pierce is more likely returning. All this is via Marc Stein of ESPN.
Nothing is official yet, but quiet optimism is emanating from Brooklyn when it comes to Kevin Garnett playing for one more season…
“I think he wants to keep going,” said one source close to the situation.
Garnett’s return, of course, would certainly enhance the Nets’ chances of hanging onto free agent-to-be Paul Pierce, who is expected to draw interest from Doc Rivers’ Clippers and a slew of other contenders.
Garnett, $38, would make $12 million. That’s not a bad motivation, either. The other advantage is that the Nets are in the East — with a healthy Brook Lopez and some more consistent play they could be the second or third best team in that conference. I don’t see them as contenders (as constructed) but in the East they could win plenty of games and make a little noise in the postseason.
Still I have a hard time seeing him come back if he doesn’t get to do it along side Pierce, who he followed to Brooklyn. You can be sure the two have talked. If Pierce decides he wants to play for Doc Rivers and get set up by Chris Paul for a couple seasons to end his career, or that he’d rather be anywhere else, then it certainly makes it less likely we see KG in Brooklyn.
- Kobe Bryant says Gary Payton, Kevin Garnett among best trash talkers he’s faced 1
- PBT’s Wednesday NBA Winners/Losers: Ettore Messina making history for Spurs 1
- LeBron James, Cavaliers have kind of game they need to replicate blowing out Wizards 5
- Gregg Popovich to miss game following ‘minor medical procedure’ 8
- PBT Extra: Anthony Davis’s MVP-level play, the Spurs and things to be thankful for 7
- Report: Knicks worried Carmelo Anthony’s back issue may be season-long concern 9
- Report: Lakers working on a one-year deal with Earl Clark 13
- Tom Thibodeau says Derrick Rose ‘didn’t re-injure himself’ after playing just 10 minutes in loss to Nuggets 20