Jun 23, 2014, 1:04 PM EDT
There have been a lot of questions about the future of KG with the Nets, but they are feeling more optimistic about his return — and if he is returning, Pierce is more likely returning. All this is via Marc Stein of ESPN.
Nothing is official yet, but quiet optimism is emanating from Brooklyn when it comes to Kevin Garnett playing for one more season…
“I think he wants to keep going,” said one source close to the situation.
Garnett’s return, of course, would certainly enhance the Nets’ chances of hanging onto free agent-to-be Paul Pierce, who is expected to draw interest from Doc Rivers’ Clippers and a slew of other contenders.
Garnett, $38, would make $12 million. That’s not a bad motivation, either. The other advantage is that the Nets are in the East — with a healthy Brook Lopez and some more consistent play they could be the second or third best team in that conference. I don’t see them as contenders (as constructed) but in the East they could win plenty of games and make a little noise in the postseason.
Still I have a hard time seeing him come back if he doesn’t get to do it along side Pierce, who he followed to Brooklyn. You can be sure the two have talked. If Pierce decides he wants to play for Doc Rivers and get set up by Chris Paul for a couple seasons to end his career, or that he’d rather be anywhere else, then it certainly makes it less likely we see KG in Brooklyn.
- Rumor: Kevin Love out minimum of two weeks, will likely miss most or all of series vs. Bulls 16
- Monta Ellis, J.J. Barea pairing ignites Mavericks offense, gets Dallas Game 4 win over Houston 3
- Wizards blow out Raptors to complete first-round sweep 17
- Chris Paul scores 34 points, Clippers win Game 4 to even series with Spurs 6
- Cavaliers advance to second round – but but maybe lose Kevin Love and moral high ground in process 55
- Mike Conley out for Game 4 with “serious” facial injury, no timetable for return 6
- Grizzlies start fast, hang on to beat Portland, take 3-0 series lead 2
- Bucks outwork Bulls, stay alive on Jerryd Bayless game-winner 6