Jun 23, 2014, 2:09 PM EDT
Carmelo Anthony isn’t walking through that door, LeBron James was never realistic, Chris Bosh loves Miami and isn’t looking to leave. So the Dallas Mavericks are looking at the next tier of free agents, going after guys like Pau Gasol.
And Luol Deng.
In the article at ESPNDallas.com about the Mavericks targeting the elder Gasol brother, it also mentions that free agent Loul Deng could be a target.
Sources say the Mavs also have interest in free-agent small forward Luol Deng, although there are concerns about his durability after the two-time All-Star missed 75 games over the previous four seasons and led the league in minutes per game twice in the last four seasons.
As with Gasol, this comes down to money.
Luol Deng is an All-Star three who defends hard and can score, the Mavs could use that. Every team could use that. He averaged 19 points a game and was pretty efficient getting it while in Chicago (the time in Cleveland was never a fit). You could see him being a good fit next to Dirk Nowitzki and Monta Ellis.
Deng is not going to make the $14.3 million he made last season, but is he worth $10 million a year? He is 29 and in his prime, despite the injury history someone is going to give him four years. I think four and $40 million is a fair price to get Deng.
Will the Mavericks brain trust think so? What team will pony up for him?
- PBT Extra: Grizzlies searching for answers, Mike Conley in Game 2 1
- PBT Extra: Hawks need to lean on starters more, hit open looks in Game 2 0
- CP3 who? Clippers come from behind to take Game 1 from Rockets on road. 20
- Bulls ride hot start, strong shooting night to Game 1 win in Cleveland 24
- Chris Paul out for Game 1 of Clippers-Rockets series 1
- PBT Extra: Stephen Curry is the MVP for a modern NBA 13
- PBT Second-Round Playoff Previews: Cleveland Cavaliers vs. Chicago Bulls 6
- PBT Extra: Can Jimmy Butler have success slowing LeBron James? 5