Jun 23, 2014, 2:09 PM EDT
Carmelo Anthony isn’t walking through that door, LeBron James was never realistic, Chris Bosh loves Miami and isn’t looking to leave. So the Dallas Mavericks are looking at the next tier of free agents, going after guys like Pau Gasol.
And Luol Deng.
In the article at ESPNDallas.com about the Mavericks targeting the elder Gasol brother, it also mentions that free agent Loul Deng could be a target.
Sources say the Mavs also have interest in free-agent small forward Luol Deng, although there are concerns about his durability after the two-time All-Star missed 75 games over the previous four seasons and led the league in minutes per game twice in the last four seasons.
As with Gasol, this comes down to money.
Luol Deng is an All-Star three who defends hard and can score, the Mavs could use that. Every team could use that. He averaged 19 points a game and was pretty efficient getting it while in Chicago (the time in Cleveland was never a fit). You could see him being a good fit next to Dirk Nowitzki and Monta Ellis.
Deng is not going to make the $14.3 million he made last season, but is he worth $10 million a year? He is 29 and in his prime, despite the injury history someone is going to give him four years. I think four and $40 million is a fair price to get Deng.
Will the Mavericks brain trust think so? What team will pony up for him?
- Derrick Rose after first back-to-back in years: “I’m feeling good right now” 1
- Report: Rajon Rondo wants to start season with Celtics, see how things unfold 11
- Rajon Rondo’s agent denies they asked Celtics for a trade 14
- Team USA trails at the half, then pulls away for 98-77 win over Turkey at FIBA World Cup 19
- Report: Nike nearing deal to keep Kevin Durant for next 10 years 21
- Report: Rajon Rondo has told Celtics ‘he wants out’ 68
- World Cup Day 1 roundup: Brazil with big win, Andray Blatche puts on a show 5
- USA cruises past Finland in World Cup opener, 114-55 18