Jun 23, 2014, 2:09 PM EDT
Carmelo Anthony isn’t walking through that door, LeBron James was never realistic, Chris Bosh loves Miami and isn’t looking to leave. So the Dallas Mavericks are looking at the next tier of free agents, going after guys like Pau Gasol.
And Luol Deng.
In the article at ESPNDallas.com about the Mavericks targeting the elder Gasol brother, it also mentions that free agent Loul Deng could be a target.
Sources say the Mavs also have interest in free-agent small forward Luol Deng, although there are concerns about his durability after the two-time All-Star missed 75 games over the previous four seasons and led the league in minutes per game twice in the last four seasons.
As with Gasol, this comes down to money.
Luol Deng is an All-Star three who defends hard and can score, the Mavs could use that. Every team could use that. He averaged 19 points a game and was pretty efficient getting it while in Chicago (the time in Cleveland was never a fit). You could see him being a good fit next to Dirk Nowitzki and Monta Ellis.
Deng is not going to make the $14.3 million he made last season, but is he worth $10 million a year? He is 29 and in his prime, despite the injury history someone is going to give him four years. I think four and $40 million is a fair price to get Deng.
Will the Mavericks brain trust think so? What team will pony up for him?
- Reports: Bulls getting closer to firing Tom Thibodeau 14
- PBT Extra: Despite ending, Hawks had season worth celebrating 3
- Bucks’ Jared Dudley: “Most guys don’t want to play with Kobe” 51
- PBT Extra: Expect a healthy Stephen Curry for Game 5… sorry Houston 4
- Hawks’ excellent season shouldn’t be discredited because of playoff exit 24
- Cavaliers complete sweep of Hawks, advance to NBA Finals 82
- Kyrie Irving back in Cavaliers lineup for Game 4 vs. Hawks 5
- NBA: No Game 5 suspension for Dwight Howard, flagrant-1 for hit on Andrew Bogut stands as called 23