Jun 23, 2014, 10:15 AM EDT
If you were waiting until today for Carmelo Anthony to officially terminate the final year of his contract, stop holding your breath.
He already did.
Chris Herring of The Wall Street Journal:
Can confirm that Carmelo will opt out. Actually submitted his formal ETO letter on Friday stating his intentions to do so, per a source.—
Chris Herring (@HerringWSJ) June 22, 2014
Melo still won’t become a free agent until July 1, though teams can certainly reach him through certain channels earlier. His June 23 deadline – contractually agreed upon as an alternative to the standard June 30 – serves only to give the Knicks more notice.
But if they didn’t already know Melo’s plan, they haven’t been listening.
- Cavaliers sold Kyrie Irving on contract extension with LeBron James-Kevin Love plan 31
- Kevin Love says Timberwolves owner should focus on his own team following trade to Cavaliers 32
- Iman Shumpert excited to play in triangle offense because he won’t just have to stand in the corner 6
- Timberwolves owner: Kevin Love might regret trade because he’ll be third banana with Cavaliers 48
- Anthony Davis and Kenneth Faried lead Team USA in final World Cup tune-up 20
- Thunder trade Hasheem Thabeet to 76ers 37
- From late-arriving to a LeBron James favorite, Kevin Love comes full circle 17
- Clippers trade Jared Dudley and first rounder to Bucks for Carlos Delfino and Miroslav Raduljica 23