Jun 23, 2014, 12:09 PM EDT
Again, if this is a surprise to you, welcome out of the cave from your long winter hibernation.
“Carmelo loves being a Knick, he loves the City and the fans. At this stage of his career he just wants to explore his options.”
Those options include the chance to contend sooner rather than later.
The Knicks are cap strapped and rebuilding, it’s going to take a few years (at least). If contending for a ring now is Anthony’s priority over money than taking less to play in Chicago makes sense (or maybe Houston or Dallas, although why go to the deeper Western Conference?). Reports are the Heat may try to make a run at Anthony, too, but that would require a lot of salary cap gymnastics and a whole lot more money left on the table by some big stars. The Lakers could make a call, too, but interest there is lukewarm.
People around Carmelo said he was opting out and wanted the full “Dwight Howard treatment” of being recruited. He’s going to get that. Teams will chase him.
He just has to decide what matters most to him. Money? Being the star in New York? Contending immediately? Location? What does his family want? Anthony will get recruited but where he lands ultimately depends on what he wants most.
More and more that seems to be getting out of New York.
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Cleveland may want to cover Curry in the left corner 2
- It’s official: Scott Skiles hired as head coach of Orlando Magic 20
- PBT Podcast: Talking Thibodeau/Bulls divorce; future for Rockets, Hawks 0
- Warriors’ Klay Thompson officially diagnosed with concussion 20
- Klay Thompson should not have been cleared to return to Game 5 after concussion evaluation 15
- Dwight Howard suspended one game after foul switcheroo 18
- Three coaches who may replace Tom Thibodeau in Chicago 12
- Report: Kevin Love going to “look around” this summer as free agent; Celtics, Lakers, Rockets possible 49