Jun 23, 2014, 12:09 PM EDT
Again, if this is a surprise to you, welcome out of the cave from your long winter hibernation.
“Carmelo loves being a Knick, he loves the City and the fans. At this stage of his career he just wants to explore his options.”
Those options include the chance to contend sooner rather than later.
The Knicks are cap strapped and rebuilding, it’s going to take a few years (at least). If contending for a ring now is Anthony’s priority over money than taking less to play in Chicago makes sense (or maybe Houston or Dallas, although why go to the deeper Western Conference?). Reports are the Heat may try to make a run at Anthony, too, but that would require a lot of salary cap gymnastics and a whole lot more money left on the table by some big stars. The Lakers could make a call, too, but interest there is lukewarm.
People around Carmelo said he was opting out and wanted the full “Dwight Howard treatment” of being recruited. He’s going to get that. Teams will chase him.
He just has to decide what matters most to him. Money? Being the star in New York? Contending immediately? Location? What does his family want? Anthony will get recruited but where he lands ultimately depends on what he wants most.
More and more that seems to be getting out of New York.
- Hey John Wall/Dion Waiters, Stephen Curry says Warriors have best backcourt. And he’s right. 41
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Charlotte Hornets 4
- Kobe Bryant plans to play in all 8 preseason games for Lakers 8
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Miami Heat 9
- Mike Miller points to him being amnestied as start of LeBron James leaving Miami 15
- Kobe Bryant thinks he could physically play beyond contract extension 14
- Trey Burke, in wake of nude-photo scandal: ‘My judgments will be much better’ 11
- Report: Kevin Durant says he wants to play in 2016 Olympics (his free agent summer) 5