Bucks owner rules out Joel Embiid

Jun 23, 2014, 10:35 AM EST

Joel Embiid Joel Embiid

The Bucks might have the simplest choice in the draft. The Cavaliers will likely take Andrew Wiggins or Jabari Parker No. 1, leaving the other for Milwaukee at No. 2.

Joel Embiid could factor, though. Even with his injury, the Bucks should at least consider a player many considered a clear top choice when healthy.

It appears they won’t.

Bucks co-owner Marc Lasry, via Charles F. Gardner of Milwaukee Journal Sentinel:

The Bucks should probably pass on Embiid. Wiggins and Parker would be fine No. 1 picks in an average draft, so with good alternatives on the board, it’s hard to justify taking a chance on Embiid.

But Lasry’s reason is not the right one for passing on Embiid.

Milwaukee went 15-67 last season. A quick turnaround is unlikely, and trying for one is likely to lead to more problems.

The Bucks don’t need immediate help. They need the player who will help most during the next seven to nine years.

That’s probably not Embiid, but how much he’ll help immediately shouldn’t matter.

1. mungman69 - Jun 23, 2014 at 10:58 AM

If I were the Bucks I’d take the guy that the Cavs don’t, Wiggins or Parker. No brainer.

• bougin89 - Jun 23, 2014 at 11:13 AM

Exactly. It should be a no brainer for sure. I just hope they don’t get cute and consider Exum or really anyone else for that matter.

2. bougin89 - Jun 23, 2014 at 11:11 AM

I feel bad for Embiid that he’s been so injury prone, he seems like a good enough kid. It would be a real mistake for the Bucks to draft him at #2 though, so this is great news for Bucks fans. This isn’t about Embiid’s current injury either, it’s about the cumulative injuries. Foot and back injuries are no joke for 7 footers. The same stress fracture in his back(twice) and now screws in his foot…yikes…

• apkyletexas - Jun 23, 2014 at 1:20 PM

I feel bad for Embiid that he won’t get to live in Cleveland or Milwaukee for the next few winters.

Oh wait…

• bougin89 - Jun 24, 2014 at 9:26 AM

Fail.

3. sasquash20 - Jun 23, 2014 at 11:14 AM

I think my Sixers should take Embiid. They have the 10th pick for another player and if it doesnt work out wuth Embiid they have Noel to cover the 5 spot

• rrhoe - Jun 23, 2014 at 11:27 AM

At no. 3,the Sixers should be thinking a player that’s ready to contribute right away,Embiid at no. 10,not a problem. Evan Turner hurt them being a no. 2 pick that didn’t work out and they took a project last year that they didn’t have to rush back.

• thatsjustchipper - Jun 23, 2014 at 11:47 AM

Sam Hinkie would actually prefer to take a project like Embiid and be awful in the near future. If they somehow sneak into the playoffs (pretty doable in the putrid East) in ’15, they forfeit their first round pick to the C’s. The Sixers have stated they plan to rebuild and be competitive in 3-5 years. Next year will be year 2.

Turner was actually considered someone who could “help immediately,” and that was the Sixers mistake. Someone like Cousins was considered more of a project, and look how that turned out.

• philadelphiafan - Jun 24, 2014 at 3:05 AM

If the Sixers don’t trade up to #1 and they’re sitting at 3 with Embiid on the board Hinkie will take him. At that point you take the best player on the board which is Embiid. It makes no sense to trade their #3 pick unless their moving up. I hope I don’t see MCW traded though, he’s gonna be triple-double machine for years to come.

4. mvp43 - Jun 23, 2014 at 11:53 AM

The Bucks already have some good young players in place. Adding Parker would probably be my first choice as he’s NBA ready.

Out on a limb here……………. could Julius Randle be a better pick then Wiggins??

• chiadam - Jun 23, 2014 at 12:15 PM

Could be, but I doubt it. I’m just excited for this year’s draft after last year’s crap-o-rama draft. I thought I was watching the NBADL Draft.

• thatsjustchipper - Jun 23, 2014 at 12:33 PM

Any chance the Bucks take Wiggins, and hold him for ransom? Somehow demanding Philly take Exum + whatever else it would take? Would they have any interest in Thad Young?

Forgive me, I’m not 100% familiar with the Bucks frontcourt situation so I’m not sure what the Sixers could offer them.

• 5xchamp24 - Jun 24, 2014 at 10:36 PM

Your also not familiar with who holds the no1 draft spot. You have to first hope that the Cavs take Parker

5. jolink653 - Jun 23, 2014 at 12:35 PM

Last time I remember a big man being touted as the top pick with a lot of injury concerns was Greg Oden, and just ask Portland how that worked out (still feel bad for him though). Bucks should just take either Parker or Wiggins depending on who Cleveland takes. I think Wiggins would be a much better fit for them because they are so lacking at the guard spot. Cleveland also needs a low post, inside scorer, so Parker might go first, leaving Wiggins to Milwaukee.

6. mungman69 - Jun 23, 2014 at 1:12 PM

Embiid scares me at #1 but the lower he drops the better he looks. I’ve read that the Lakers will take him but I don’t think he will fall that far. I’ve watched him play a number of times and he’s the best athlete at 7 feet that I’ve seen, ever.
    I think the Cavs pick Parker.
    I think the Bucks take Wiggins.
    What is the over/under on first round trades?

7. golfrangeman - Jun 23, 2014 at 3:28 PM

@mvp43 funny you said that I’ve liked randle all along, he just seems like he’s got that bigger nba body and maybe the collage system held his offense back a little. I’d take him as high as 3.

8. milkcan44 - Jun 23, 2014 at 3:38 PM

Even without the owners chiming in, Hammond would not risk taking Embiid, because injuries curtailed their plan to make Bogut a long term solution at center.

9. mungman69 - Jun 23, 2014 at 4:47 PM

Hey Milk, YES!

10. General37 - Jun 23, 2014 at 7:46 PM

Some how some way the sixers will get 2 of the following 3
    Wiggins,Embiid,or,Exum, for sure will move MCW, Thad and the 10th pick, and they will take on some unattractive contracts to get those guys

11. suckittrebek76 - Jun 23, 2014 at 9:07 PM

Thank you!

12. pachingg - Jun 24, 2014 at 2:29 PM

My opinion is he drops below the tenth pick, hopefully not but his agents unwillingness to share his medical records doesn’t help his stock.

Who will land Josh Smith?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches