Jun 23, 2014, 9:00 PM EDT
See, Kirilenko is Russian and Nets owner Mikhail Prokhorov is Russian. So… there must have been something nefarious happening, like Kirilenko getting paid under the table.
Because they’re Russian. Russian. Did I say Russian?
Nobody ever presented any evidence beyond that, and the complaints faded away.
They might pop up again.
Kirilenko’s 2014-15 salary – $3,326,235 to be exact – might actually match his value. So, the complaints should hopefully remain in the background this time around. (Even if Kirilenko’s perceived value in 2013 – which was, admittedly, higher than his contract – is the more accurate indicator of what he could have been paid).
He’s still a helpful contributor, especially in the Nets’ small-ball rotation. He works closer to the basket offensively and shows less explosiveness defensively now that he’s 33, but his two-way play is still an asset.
Brooklyn is, once again, fortunate to have him.
- Chris Paul scores 34 points, Clippers win Game 4 to even series with Spurs 0
- Cavaliers advance to second round – but but maybe lose Kevin Love and moral high ground in process 15
- Mike Conley out for Game 4 with “serious” facial injury, no timetable for return 3
- Grizzlies start fast, hang on to beat Portland, take 3-0 series lead 1
- Bucks outwork Bulls, stay alive on Jerryd Bayless game-winner 6
- Nets use 18-0 second-half run to secure Game 3 victory over Hawks 6
- Mavericks coach Rick Carlisle fined $25K for publicly criticizing officials after Game 3 loss to Rockets 10
- PBT Extra: Stephen Curry starting to have his defining playoff moments 8