Jun 23, 2014, 9:00 PM EDT
See, Kirilenko is Russian and Nets owner Mikhail Prokhorov is Russian. So… there must have been something nefarious happening, like Kirilenko getting paid under the table.
Because they’re Russian. Russian. Did I say Russian?
Nobody ever presented any evidence beyond that, and the complaints faded away.
They might pop up again.
Kirilenko’s 2014-15 salary – $3,326,235 to be exact – might actually match his value. So, the complaints should hopefully remain in the background this time around. (Even if Kirilenko’s perceived value in 2013 – which was, admittedly, higher than his contract – is the more accurate indicator of what he could have been paid).
He’s still a helpful contributor, especially in the Nets’ small-ball rotation. He works closer to the basket offensively and shows less explosiveness defensively now that he’s 33, but his two-way play is still an asset.
Brooklyn is, once again, fortunate to have him.
- UPDATED Report: Timberwolves make push for Eric Bledsoe, Suns not interested in sign-and-trade talks 21
- LeBron James unveils latest signature shoe from Nike: The LEBRON 12 11
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Toronto Raptors 10
- Dwyane Wade credits David Stern’s dress code for improving his style 15
- Kevin Durant has grown close with Karl Malone 15
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Philadelphia 76ers 5
- Steve Kerr said Danny Ferry made mistake but is a “man of high character” 33
- LeBron James on Kyrie Irving: “I believe Kyrie can be the best point guard in the league.” 25