Jun 22, 2014, 2:12 PM EDT
New York media (and some Knicks fans) seem to be on pins and needles with the question of “will Carmelo Anthony opt out of the final year of his contract with the Knicks?”
Except, Anthony has said all along he intended to opt out of his contract. People around him said he wanted to be a free agent and get the “full Dwight Howard treatment” of being recruited. Phil Jackson has asked Anthony not to but said he expected the star forward to opt out of his contract. There has never been a question about that, the question was could the Knicks retain him?
The deadline for him to tell the Knicks he is opting out is Monday and he will do that, reports Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports.
As planned, All-Star forward Carmelo Anthony will file notice with the New York Knicks on Monday that he plans to exercise the early termination option on his contract and become a free agent on July 1, a league source told Yahoo Sports.
The Knicks can offer the most money to Anthony as a free agent — five years, $129 million, comported to four years, $95 million max from any other team — but if Anthony is serious about being on a contending team he is going to have to take less.
The Chicago Bulls are considered front runners to sign Anthony, if they amnesty Carlos Boozer and trade Mike Dunleavy Jr. for picks (no salary on the books), plus maybe do the same to Jimmy Butler, they can offer north of $17 million a year for four years. That’s less than the max but the cost of going to a contender in the East.
The Lakers (with halfhearted interest), the Mavericks and other teams may also try to get in the mix.
- Report: Kevin Durant considering Knicks, being recruited by Carmelo Anthony 38
- Markieff Morris: “My future will not be in Phoenix” 33
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 33
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 52
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 7
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18