Jun 21, 2014, 9:00 PM EST
We’re officially into the NBA’s silly season when we’re quoting an analyst stating he ‘believes there’s a possibility” that a deal between two teams could take place, without citing any inside sources who have knowledge that a trade was ever discussed, much less at all plausible.
But here we are, with a story discussing the Warriors’ potential interest in trading for Tyson Chandler.
Nothing in the piece is sourced, and only quotes Stephen A. Smith giving an opinion as to what could possibly transpire.
“They still like Tyson Chandler,” Smith said on ESPN 98.7 FM’s “The Stephen A. Smith and Ryan Ruocco Show” on Wednesday.
“I believe there’s a possibility that the Golden State Warriors would trade those two guys for Tyson Chandler,” Smith said. “I’m not saying it’s definite but I really believe in my heart they would do it. And if there’s a possibility that they would do it, the New York Knicks have got to investigate it.”
“It’s unclear if either team would consider such a swap.”
“I believe there’s a possibility that the Golden State Warriors would trade those two guys for Tyson Chandler,” Smith said. “I’m not saying it’s definite but I really believe in my heart they would do it.”
It all bears repeating because of how ridiculous it is.
This isn’t meant to rip the ESPN piece, because in the content game, it’s necessary at times to run with something that’s less than ideal. After all, if people are talking about it, then it’s worth discussing by professionals who could add something to the conversation.
But as far as we know, this one has no basis in fact.
- Wesley Matthew’s injury will test Trail Blazers’ spacing 3
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Thursday: Nobody can stop E’Twaun Moore; Westbrook’s pretty good, too 10
- Training like the Pros: Recapping a month-long Nike Basketball workout experience 4
- Report: JaVale McGee can’t reach deal with Celtics 11
- Craig Sager makes long-awaited return to TNT after 11-month battle with leukemia 7
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Masked Russell Westbrook just needs a cape 20
- George Karl: Knicks could use a strong point guard next to Carmelo Anthony 14
- Ray Allen announces he will not play this season 14