Jun 21, 2014, 9:00 PM EDT
We’re officially into the NBA’s silly season when we’re quoting an analyst stating he ‘believes there’s a possibility” that a deal between two teams could take place, without citing any inside sources who have knowledge that a trade was ever discussed, much less at all plausible.
But here we are, with a story discussing the Warriors’ potential interest in trading for Tyson Chandler.
Nothing in the piece is sourced, and only quotes Stephen A. Smith giving an opinion as to what could possibly transpire.
“They still like Tyson Chandler,” Smith said on ESPN 98.7 FM’s “The Stephen A. Smith and Ryan Ruocco Show” on Wednesday.
“I believe there’s a possibility that the Golden State Warriors would trade those two guys for Tyson Chandler,” Smith said. “I’m not saying it’s definite but I really believe in my heart they would do it. And if there’s a possibility that they would do it, the New York Knicks have got to investigate it.”
“It’s unclear if either team would consider such a swap.”
“I believe there’s a possibility that the Golden State Warriors would trade those two guys for Tyson Chandler,” Smith said. “I’m not saying it’s definite but I really believe in my heart they would do it.”
It all bears repeating because of how ridiculous it is.
This isn’t meant to rip the ESPN piece, because in the content game, it’s necessary at times to run with something that’s less than ideal. After all, if people are talking about it, then it’s worth discussing by professionals who could add something to the conversation.
But as far as we know, this one has no basis in fact.
- LaMarcus Aldridge has chosen to sign with Spurs 65
- Who should Clippers get to replace DeAndre Jordan? How about Blake Griffin. 42
- Report: Tobias Harris reaches four-year, $64 million extension to stay with Orlando 25
- Report: Rajon Rondo agrees to one-year, $9.5 million deal with Sacramento Kings 47
- Report: DeAndre Jordan agrees to four-year, $80 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 56
- Report: Kings signing Marco Belinelli to three-year, $19 million contract 19
- Report: Knicks to sign Robin Lopez to four-year, $54 million contract (unless DeAndre Jordan changes his mind) 12
- PBT Extra: Free agent signings we didn’t love 6