Jun 21, 2014, 6:00 PM EDT
The Cavaliers have plenty of options after winning the Draft Lottery for the second consecutive year, although many believe that the injury suffered by Joel Embiid and the subsequent surgery it required have thrown things into a state of chaos.
Embiid would have been a safe choice after Cleveland unsuccessfully gambled on Anthony Bennett with the top pick a season ago, but now with his injury history, that’s no longer the case.
It’s unclear what the Cavs might be thinking at this point, but in a very deep draft, there should be other legitimate options. And reportedly, they’re leaning toward another big man who should pay immediate dividends.
With Joel Embiid’s foot surgery, and the reported 4-6 month recovery that comes with it, the Cavs are said to be leaning toward Duke’s Jabari Parker with the No. 1 pick. Parker is more NBA-ready than Andrew Wiggins, who would go to the Bucks at No. 2. Rival executives believe it would be out of character for Cleveland GM David Griffin to trade the top pick, and believe Bucks GM John Hammond would be hard-pressed to deviate from the other consensus top player in the draft after Embiid’s injury shook up the top of the lottery.
Parker then Wiggins seems to be where it’s at in the land of mocks, and it’s difficult to argue for one over the other. Wiggins possesses superior athleticism, but Parker possesses a more immediately useful skill set, which is something that a Cavaliers team determined to make the postseason desperately needs.
- Markieff Morris: “My future will not be in Phoenix” 13
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 32
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 49
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 7
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 28