Jun 21, 2014, 11:30 AM EDT
Orlando is looking to move Arron Afflalo this summer and he would be a good fit on a contending team — he scored 18.2 points a game, shot 42.7 percent from three last season, can put the ball on the floor and create, and is still a quality defender. Last season the Magic forced him into the role of No. 1 offensive option, but on a team where he is the second or third option he has real value.
Enter the Chicago Bulls.
The Chicago Bulls are pursuing a trade for Orlando Magic swingman Arron Afflalo, league sources told Yahoo Sports.
Afflalo, 28, has two years left on his contract — including an Early Termination Option (ETO) provision next summer — and front office executives believe the Magic are prioritizing a trade for Afflalo over working to extend his contract.
Afflalo may have two years on his deal making $7.75 million per, but he is really a one year rental because he is expected to opt out and seek bigger dollars in a year.
The big question here is how does this impact the Bulls’ drive to get Carmelo Anthony? Trading for Afflalo — assuming the Bulls give up something like one of their two first round picks, 16 and 19, as well as Mike Dunleavy Jr. or another player — makes getting Anthony more difficult. This doesn’t remove salary from the Bulls’ payroll, which is what they need to do to bring in Anthony. Maybe this is the first in a series of moves.
Minnesota is said to be interested in Afflalo as part of a Kevin Love trade.
The other question is what is being exchanged for Afflalo? The Magic are rebuilding and have some nice young pieces — Victor Oladipo, Nikola Vucevic, Tobias Harris — as well as the No. 4 and No. 12 pick in the draft. They would welcome another pick but that’s not enough to get a deal done, it is going to take a salary like Dunleavy. Maybe Orlando has interest in Jimmy Butler, who like Afflalo plays the two.
This trade conversation raises a lot of questions, but it’s ongoing and out there.
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 22
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 26
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 6
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 28
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4