Jun 21, 2014, 11:00 PM EDT
The Bulls will have a former MVP in Derrick Rose back healthy, along with Joakim Noah and Taj Gibson — all of whom have shown the desire to play as hard as possible on a nightly basis for head coach Tom Thibodeau, who doesn’t appear willing to leave Anthony’s decision to chance.
The Bulls’ push to acquire New York Knicks star Carmelo Anthony is heating up heading into NBA draft week, and perhaps no one wants his services more than coach Tom Thibodeau.
According to one of Anthony’s former coaches, Thibodeau has reached out to him and to several other coaches who have worked with Anthony with numerous calls. …
That the Bulls are in full-court-press mode on Anthony comes as no surprise, considering center Joakim Noah courted him during All-Star Weekend in February and continued the recruitment throughout the second half of the season.
And it would seem Noah isn’t alone. Point guard Derrick Rose reportedly has gotten involved, too, and Thibodeau has used back channels to let Anthony know his addition could mean big things for everyone involved.
Anthony would only leave the Knicks for as close to a sure thing as possible, considering it would cost him an extra year of security and in the neighborhood of $30 million to do so.
It’s widely known that Anthony will be seeking out his free agent options, so Thibodeau making contact — even through the infamous back channels, and not directly with Anthony himself — is simply part of the game.
Post has been updated to reflect Thibodeau contacting Anthony’s former coaches, and not Anthony himself — something that was unclear due to the wording of the initial report.
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 2
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 5
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 40
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 30
- Wisconsin State Assembly passes Bucks arena deal, clearing the way for Gov. Walker to sign 39
- Phil Jackson says Knicks wanted Goran Dragic at trade deadline. Because he’s such a triangle fit? 16
- Report: Cavaliers sign Matthew Dellavedova 10
- Heat trade Zoran Dragic, second-rounder to Celtics 11