Jun 21, 2014, 4:29 PM EST
The Nets are looking to add point guard depth to protect themselves in the seemingly likely event that Shaun Livingston leaves this summer in free agency, while the Cavaliers (and their 23rd ranked offense)could certainly use some additional scoring off the bench.
The two teams are reportedly engaged in trade talks that could help accomplish those goals for both sides.
From Marc Stein of ESPN.com:
Sources told ESPN.com that the Nets, after acquiring Thornton at the trade deadline in February, have identified Jack as a prime target for increasing their options at point guard.
Brooklyn would like to re-sign Livingston, who played consistently well and started for the team in 45 of his 63 appearances. But the salary cap limits what they have to offer, which is the mid-level exception at just over $3 million per year for three seasons.
As for Jack, he’s under contract for over $12 million in total over the next two seasons, but the Nets have no problem absorbing salary if they believe it will help the product on the floor to produce additional victories.
Thornton would be playing for his fourth team heading into his sixth season if this trade were to happen, mainly because he’s an offense-only option that runs either very hot or very cold, with little in between. But the Cavaliers need offense, and when Thornton is on, that’s definitely something he can provide.
One interesting wrinkle to this could be the Nets positioning themselves to be able to deal Deron Williams, should such a scenario present itself. It’s not likely by any means, especially given Williams’ injury history with his ankles (which both underwent surgery at the end of May) and the fact that he’s owed $62 million over the next three years.
But Jack is a capable point guard, and should Brooklyn be able to convince Livingston to stay, that would be a workable backcourt tandem in the event that Williams is either injured or traded at anytime next season.
- Home-court advantage means less than ever in NBA. Why? 11
- Nikola Mirotic’s unique style rewarding Bulls for waiting on him 13
- What We Learned in NBA Tuesday Night: Bulls fans should want more of this attacking Derrick Rose 21
- Derrick Rose hits step-back jumper in overtime, lifts Bulls past Warriors (VIDEO) 7
- It’s official: Zach LaVine, Greek Freak Antetokounmpo headline All-Star Dunk Contest 11
- Report: Stephen Curry, Klay Thompson to participate in All-Star weekend’s Three-Point Contest 8
- Three Things We Learned from NBA Monday: Is it time to mention Anthony Davis with LeBron and Durant? 35
- PBT Extra: Who should be the All-Star Game reserves? 18