Jun 21, 2014, 4:29 PM EST
The Nets are looking to add point guard depth to protect themselves in the seemingly likely event that Shaun Livingston leaves this summer in free agency, while the Cavaliers (and their 23rd ranked offense)could certainly use some additional scoring off the bench.
The two teams are reportedly engaged in trade talks that could help accomplish those goals for both sides.
From Marc Stein of ESPN.com:
Sources told ESPN.com that the Nets, after acquiring Thornton at the trade deadline in February, have identified Jack as a prime target for increasing their options at point guard.
Brooklyn would like to re-sign Livingston, who played consistently well and started for the team in 45 of his 63 appearances. But the salary cap limits what they have to offer, which is the mid-level exception at just over $3 million per year for three seasons.
As for Jack, he’s under contract for over $12 million in total over the next two seasons, but the Nets have no problem absorbing salary if they believe it will help the product on the floor to produce additional victories.
Thornton would be playing for his fourth team heading into his sixth season if this trade were to happen, mainly because he’s an offense-only option that runs either very hot or very cold, with little in between. But the Cavaliers need offense, and when Thornton is on, that’s definitely something he can provide.
One interesting wrinkle to this could be the Nets positioning themselves to be able to deal Deron Williams, should such a scenario present itself. It’s not likely by any means, especially given Williams’ injury history with his ankles (which both underwent surgery at the end of May) and the fact that he’s owed $62 million over the next three years.
But Jack is a capable point guard, and should Brooklyn be able to convince Livingston to stay, that would be a workable backcourt tandem in the event that Williams is either injured or traded at anytime next season.
- Wesley Matthews’ injury will test Trail Blazers’ spacing 3
- Training like the Pros: Recapping a month-long Nike Basketball workout experience 4
- Report: JaVale McGee can’t reach deal with Celtics 11
- Craig Sager makes long-awaited return to TNT after 11-month battle with leukemia 7
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Masked Russell Westbrook just needs a cape 20
- George Karl: Knicks could use a strong point guard next to Carmelo Anthony 14
- Ray Allen announces he will not play this season 14