Jun 20, 2014, 1:10 PM EST
Is it time for Jimmer Fredette to consider picking up a bigger paycheck in Europe?
A number of readers just screamed “NNNOOOOO!” There are a lot of fans out there convinced the former BYU star is just not getting a chance, the man is holding him down. They pick their spots and point to specific games — hey, on April 14 Fredette had 17 points to lead the Bulls bench against the Magic, he deserves more of a chance.
But don’t you think the fact four coaches — Paul Westphal, Keith Smart, Mike Malone and Tom Thibodeau — will not put him on the court much when the game matters says a lot about Fredette’s game? The question isn’t if Fredette can shoot, he can, but it’s the other end — the second he steps on the court other teams go at his defense. He’s not good on that end. To put it kindly. That is what glues him to the bench.
Fredette is a free agent and likely will take a minimum (or close to it) deal to latch on with a team and try to get his chance. But he has other options, as Sportando notes.
Fredette’s game may fit better overseas.
I don’t think he lets his NBA dream go just yet. He can shoot — career 40 percent from three — and that skill will get you chances. Maybe he can improve his defense enough to get off the bench. But if things don’t change, Fredette may eventually need to consider a payday overseas, where he would be a highly-valued, higher-priced player.
- PBT’s Top 10 NBA stories of 2014, No. 8: Kobe Bryant returns 0
- PBT’s Sunday Night NBA Winners/Losers: Cavaliers shouldn’t hit panic button, may want to locate it 2
- Carmelo Anthony sits out second half vs. Portland with sore knee 5
- LeBron, after Cavaliers lose by 23 at home to Pistons: ‘Right now we are not very good. In every aspect of the game’ 43
- Paul Pierce ‘shocked’ by Celtics trade of Rajon Rondo to Mavericks 16
- Kobe Bryant will return to Lakers lineup Sunday vs. Suns 16
- Kevin Love benched entire fourth quarter of Cavaliers win over Magic 30
- PBT’s Top 10 NBA stories of 2014, No. 10: Anthony Davis’ breakout 22