Jun 20, 2014, 1:10 PM EST
Is it time for Jimmer Fredette to consider picking up a bigger paycheck in Europe?
A number of readers just screamed “NNNOOOOO!” There are a lot of fans out there convinced the former BYU star is just not getting a chance, the man is holding him down. They pick their spots and point to specific games — hey, on April 14 Fredette had 17 points to lead the Bulls bench against the Magic, he deserves more of a chance.
But don’t you think the fact four coaches — Paul Westphal, Keith Smart, Mike Malone and Tom Thibodeau — will not put him on the court much when the game matters says a lot about Fredette’s game? The question isn’t if Fredette can shoot, he can, but it’s the other end — the second he steps on the court other teams go at his defense. He’s not good on that end. To put it kindly. That is what glues him to the bench.
Fredette is a free agent and likely will take a minimum (or close to it) deal to latch on with a team and try to get his chance. But he has other options, as Sportando notes.
Fredette’s game may fit better overseas.
I don’t think he lets his NBA dream go just yet. He can shoot — career 40 percent from three — and that skill will get you chances. Maybe he can improve his defense enough to get off the bench. But if things don’t change, Fredette may eventually need to consider a payday overseas, where he would be a highly-valued, higher-priced player.
- Report: Dwight Howard could miss “extended time” with knee injury 2
- James Harden, three Hawks players lead list of NBA All-Star Game reserves 10
- Report: OKC front office backs Scott Brooks, may look to trade Reggie Jackson 9
- Dwyane Wade out indefinitely, says best case for his return is 2-3 weeks 9
- Report: Tom Thibodeau’s relationship with Bulls management believed to be ‘beyond repair’ 42
- Dwight Howard out at least two games with swelling in his knee 6
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Is this rock bottom for Oklahoma City? 14
- He’s on Fire! Kyrie Irving scores 55, knocks down game winning three (VIDEO) 54