Jun 20, 2014, 1:10 PM EDT
Is it time for Jimmer Fredette to consider picking up a bigger paycheck in Europe?
A number of readers just screamed “NNNOOOOO!” There are a lot of fans out there convinced the former BYU star is just not getting a chance, the man is holding him down. They pick their spots and point to specific games — hey, on April 14 Fredette had 17 points to lead the Bulls bench against the Magic, he deserves more of a chance.
But don’t you think the fact four coaches — Paul Westphal, Keith Smart, Mike Malone and Tom Thibodeau — will not put him on the court much when the game matters says a lot about Fredette’s game? The question isn’t if Fredette can shoot, he can, but it’s the other end — the second he steps on the court other teams go at his defense. He’s not good on that end. To put it kindly. That is what glues him to the bench.
Fredette is a free agent and likely will take a minimum (or close to it) deal to latch on with a team and try to get his chance. But he has other options, as Sportando notes.
Fredette’s game may fit better overseas.
I don’t think he lets his NBA dream go just yet. He can shoot — career 40 percent from three — and that skill will get you chances. Maybe he can improve his defense enough to get off the bench. But if things don’t change, Fredette may eventually need to consider a payday overseas, where he would be a highly-valued, higher-priced player.
- Cavaliers complete sweep of Hawks, advance to NBA Finals 40
- Kyrie Irving back in Cavaliers lineup for Game 4 vs. Hawks 5
- NBA: No Game 5 suspension for Dwight Howard, flagrant-1 for hit on Andrew Bogut stands as called 18
- Report: Kyle Korver to have surgery on his ankle 5
- PBT Podcast: We’re back (finally), talking Curry, Harden, and what should be a Flagrant Foul 0
- PBT Extra: Will Dwight Howard’s foul on Bogut be upgraded to a Flagrant 2? Should it? 13
- PBT Extra: Horford/Dellavedova incident ups tension in Hawks/Cavaliers Game 4 10
- Elimination game Josh Smith is a thing, Rockets live to play another day 6