Jun 20, 2014, 11:55 AM EST
Doc Rivers needs reinforcements on his bench.
Marc J. Spears of Yahoo Sports:
Both would make strong hires.
Frank previously served as Rivers’ lead assistant in Boston. Though too inflexible to succeed as a head coach, Frank prepares thorough gameplans and is known for a strong work ethic in a field full of hard workers. That’s an excellent skillset for an assistant.
Woodson is the coaching equivalent of a AAAA baseball player. He’s too good to be an assistant coach, but not quite good enough to warrant getting hired as a head coach. Woodson, who has never worked with Rivers, is a little too backward in his ways when in charge, but Rivers could lean on Woodson’s large amount of basketball knowledge rather than allowing Woodson to set the agenda.
Rivers has never shied from hiring quality assistants, and more than ever, he he’s too powerful to be undermined. Some head coaches fear assistants who might become too influential – Frank lost his last job, because Jason Kidd was one of them – but, to his his credit, Rivers doesn’t.
Landing either Woodson or Frank would help the Clippers. Getting both would be a major coup.
- Derrick Rose expected to return in 4-6 weeks. In time for playoffs. 19
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Thursday: The Cavaliers we expected have arrived 17
- Report: George Karl controls Kings’ personnel, wants Ty Lawson, willing to move DeMarcus Cousins 29
- Paul George returns to practice with Pacers, could play in couple weeks 8
- Report: LeBron James wonders why he doesn’t get more MVP consideration 41
- Would Rajon Rondo leave the Mavericks for the Lakers? 62
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: The Spurs losing rodeo road trip a bad sign 14
- PBT Extra: What is future for Derrick Rose? Bulls? 13