Jun 20, 2014, 11:55 AM EDT
Doc Rivers needs reinforcements on his bench.
Marc J. Spears of Yahoo Sports:
Both would make strong hires.
Frank previously served as Rivers’ lead assistant in Boston. Though too inflexible to succeed as a head coach, Frank prepares thorough gameplans and is known for a strong work ethic in a field full of hard workers. That’s an excellent skillset for an assistant.
Woodson is the coaching equivalent of a AAAA baseball player. He’s too good to be an assistant coach, but not quite good enough to warrant getting hired as a head coach. Woodson, who has never worked with Rivers, is a little too backward in his ways when in charge, but Rivers could lean on Woodson’s large amount of basketball knowledge rather than allowing Woodson to set the agenda.
Rivers has never shied from hiring quality assistants, and more than ever, he he’s too powerful to be undermined. Some head coaches fear assistants who might become too influential – Frank lost his last job, because Jason Kidd was one of them – but, to his his credit, Rivers doesn’t.
Landing either Woodson or Frank would help the Clippers. Getting both would be a major coup.
- Behind 32 points from Kawhi Leonard, Spurs rout Clippers to take 2-1 series lead 1
- The Truth (and Marcin Gortat) will set Washington free, up 3-0 on Toronto after win 1
- James Harden scores 42 points to lead Rockets to Game 3 win, 3-0 series lead over Mavericks 14
- Why can’t the Pelicans foul in a timely manner? 7
- PBT Extra: No Rajon Rondo, no Chandler Parsons, Dallas is in trouble vs. Houston 6
- Stephen Curry drops 40, leads 20-point comeback as Warriors beat Pelicans in OT, take 3-0 series lead 10
- Stephen Curry hits ridiculous corner three to force OT (VIDEO) 18
- Bulls pull away in double-overtime to take 3-0 lead over Bucks 10