Jun 20, 2014, 3:56 PM EDT
When we talk about where Carmelo Anthony or LeBron James or where the biggest potential free agents (or trade pieces) could go the usual suspects start with Chicago and Houston, then move on to New York, the Los Angeles Lakers and on down the list.
Dallas wants to be in that mix.
“Not really,” Nowitzki said. “Somebody in his camp brought up the Mavericks first. It’s not like we brought him up. If we’re actually on his radar then it’s great. Then, we obviously have to look at it. Like I’ve said, he’s obviously one of the most explosive scorers that we have in this league. If a player like that has your team on the radar, [president of basketball operations] Donnie [Nelson] and [owner] Mark [Cuban] obviously have to look at it. Do I think it’s realistic? No. You’ve got to explore all of your options.”
Dallas may have a long-shot of landing someone, this was a 49-win team last year and still has Nowitzki, plus Monta Ellis.
But their biggest problem in attracting top flight free agents is location. No, not Texas, but rather the Western Conference. Anthony and LeBron are only leaving their current spots if they think where they go gives them a better shot to win a title (I don’t think LeBron leaves at all, but that’s another post). Both of them are in the East, where the flawed Heat were still the best of the conference. The East should be improved next season but it is still a far easier path to the Finals than the West with the Spurs, Thunder, Clippers, Warriors, Trail Blazers, Grizzlies and so on.
Mark Cuban is still big game hunting. At some point he will land one. But this summer it seems a tough sell.
- Lakers make it official — finally — and hire Byron Scott as head coach 7
- Derrick Rose: “I’ve become a smarter player, but I’m mad it took me seven years to learn it.” 21
- Shelly Sterling beats Donald Sterling in court, clears sale of Clippers to Steve Ballmer 54
- Report: Timberwolves have talked to Sixers about Thaddeus Young as Kevin Love replacement 25
- All eyes on Derrick Rose as USA Basketball mini-camp begins 22
- Klay Thompson doesn’t anticipate being traded, says he expects to play with Warriors next season 8
- PBT Power Rankings: After summer shakeups, Spurs still team to beat 47
- Report: ‘No chance’ Kevin Love stays with Timberwolves 65