Jun 20, 2014, 11:23 AM EST
Nobody saw it coming. When Rudy Gay went to Sacramento in the middle of last season he transformed for a high-volume scorer to a highly efficiency player overnight. Maybe it’s coach Mike Malone’s system, maybe it’s the players around him, maybe it’s Gay trying to prove all his critics wrong. Whatever happened he went from a well below average true shooting percentage of 46.8 percent in Toronto to 56.7 percent with the Kings. His PER jumped from 14.7 to 19.6.
Now the Kings are putting on the full court press to get Gay to stay.
Gay can opt out of the final year of his contract, worth $19.3 million, to test the open market. Whether it is opting in or re-signing in Sacramento, the Kings want to keep him. Star player DeMarcus Cousins is part of that effort, reports Jason Jones of the Sacramento Bee.
Cousins is trying to become the leader on this team, that is exactly how you do it.
Of course, what really matters is what Gay wants. Entering the prime of his career is he willing to sacrifice money to contend? Does a guy raised on the East Coast want to go back there? Or does basketball fit matter, in which case you have to like the Kings’ chances?
Gay could opt in, take the massive payday for one more year and put off the decision until 2015. Then, if he decides to bolt Sacramento, he can see if he can figure out a way to team up with other stars in a potentially deep free agent class. He’d probably like the security of a longer-term deal now (even at less per year) but this is an option.
Gay has had one efficient half a season in his career. You can get GMs, particularly stats-inclined GMs, are going to be leery that’s a long-term trend. He has value on the market, but it may not be what he thinks it is.
- Rajon Rondo was very Rondoesque in debut with Mavericks (VIDEO) 7
- Report: Kings discussing trade for Deron Williams with Nets 12
- Report: Multiple teams contacting Suns trying to trade for Goran Dragic 10
- Clippers rip officials after being called for seven technical fouls in loss to Nuggets 18
- Jeremy Lin after Kobe misses at the buzzer: ‘I like game-winners too’ 54
- Damian Lillard drops career high 43, leads Blazers to 3OT win over Spurs (VIDEO) 8
- Kendrick Perkins: Rajon Rondo wanted out of Boston 8
- Report: Minnesota agrees to trade Corey Brewer to Houston 7