Jun 20, 2014, 9:01 PM EDT
Andray Blatche was a serviceable reserve for the Nets this past season, and though his offensive possessions were adventurous at times, his skill set overall was beneficial to the Brooklyn bench.
It was expected that Blatche would seek a higher-dollar deal this summer, after signing on for a minimum contract following his being amnestied by the Wizards two seasons ago.
Blatche’s agent made his opt-out official on friday.
Blatche had told reporters on breakup day that he intended to opt out, so the move comes as no surprise.
The 27-year-old held a player option with Brooklyn for 2014-15 for just $1.4 million.
Blatche is now free to sign with any team.
The Nets have Blatche’s early Bird rights, meaning they’d be able to offer him a new deal for as much as four years, $25 million.
It’s more than likely that Blatche will be able to get a better deal elsewhere than what the Nets would be willing to offer, considering there’s a logjam of sorts in the frontcourt with Brook Lopez, Mirza Teletovic and Mason Plumlee all locked in for next year — and that’s before we even add Kevin Garnett to the mix in the event he chooses to return for a 20th NBA season.
Blatche will easily command a multi-year deal on the open market for the mid-level exception or more. He averaged 11.2 points and 5.3 rebounds in 22.2 minutes per game for the Nets last season.
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 4
- Report: Nike gets chance to match 10-year, $265 million offer to Kevin Durant from Under Armour 8
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 18
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 28
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 32
- Kevin Durant reiterates that rest was his reason for withdrawing from Team USA 9
- Kobe Bryant says he will not be same player as before, says he’s evolved into something equally good 25
- Report: Agent for Greg Monroe pursued sign-and-trade deals with five teams, including Thunder and Blazers 26