Jun 19, 2014, 8:31 PM EST
Here is our regular look around the NBA — links to stories worth reading and notes to check out (stuff that did not get its own post here at PBT) — done in bullet point form. Because bloggers love bullet points.
• Shelly Sterling went to court Wednesday trying to get a judge to force her husband Donald from harassing psychologists and attorneys that stripped him of his power in the Donald Sterling Trust. The judge told them all to tone the rhetoric down. Judges get annoyed by lawyers looking to try the case through the press.
Here is what really matters: Donald Sterling got his own doctors to do their own tests and according to his attorney (via Ramona Shelburne) they found out he is capable of administering the trust. (The Sterling Family Trust owns the Clippers and Shelly had Donald declared incapacitated, then as the only trustee she agreed to sell the team to Steve Ballmer for $2 billion.) Basically, on July 7-10 a probate judge decides whose doctors are right (with a third set of doctors involved?). If she wins the team is sold. If he wins the other owners go back to Plan A, vote him out and then the team is sold. Same outcome either way.
• Still, you should listen to the Donald Sterling voicemails to the doctors who stripped him of his trusteeship. He’s a bully and it shows here.
• Ramona Shelburne of ESPN wrote the best post yet on the Sterling saga, with all the history. Best thing you’ll read today. It’s brilliant.
• You know how during the NBA Finals Charles Barkley liked to rant about the Heat players forming their own super team? He tried to do the same thing.
• At his press conference Thursday, Pat Riley made it sound like the Heat plan to bring back Long Beach State’s own James Ennis from Australia and have him as part of the team next season. I heard that from other sources during the Finals. He’s athletic and a good fit for their bench.
• The brother of the Greek Freak, Thanasis Antetokounmpo, is working out for teams. He’s not his brother but he might develop, worth a second round pick.
• Memphis acquired a 2015 second-round pick from the Nuggets.
• Vlade Divac wants to get back in the NBA in a front office role.
Jan 28, 2015, 11:15 PM EST
The Hall of Famer held the previous record with 33 points in a period, but did so before the three-point line was implemented.
Jan 28, 2015, 10:30 PM EST
This one’s not too bad.
Jan 28, 2015, 9:43 PM EST
Kyrie Irving should have had the NBA Jam announcer calling this game.
Jan 28, 2015, 8:50 PM EST
Barnes immediately played the victim card after receiving the fine, but the NBA (and the video) say otherwise.
Jan 28, 2015, 7:50 PM EST
“Softer but not illegal,” Jackson attempted to clarify.
Jan 28, 2015, 7:00 PM EST
Cleveland is just 1-8 without LeBron in the lineup this season.
Kobe Bryant expected to be ready for start of 2015-16 season after undergoing successful shoulder surgery
Jan 28, 2015, 6:37 PM EST
Bryant will miss the remainder of the current season, and is expected to be sidelined for nine months.
Jan 28, 2015, 6:13 PM EST
One may have to work a little harder to find the late night parties in Cleveland.
Jan 28, 2015, 5:30 PM EST
Larry Sanders’ suspension allows Milwaukee to add 16th player
Jan 28, 2015, 4:45 PM EST
He is likely bought out if the Celtics can’t find a trade partner.
Jan 28, 2015, 3:59 PM EST
He had a broken wrist.
Jan 28, 2015, 3:08 PM EST
Wiggins also joins three other Timberwolves
Jan 28, 2015, 2:30 PM EST
Jan 28, 2015, 1:55 PM EST
Teletovic being released from hospital today
Jan 28, 2015, 1:17 PM EST
Jackson said breaking rule gave New York an edge due to team’s style of play
Jan 28, 2015, 12:42 PM EST
Thunder remain heavy favorites
Jan 28, 2015, 12:05 PM EST
The Raptors are trying to be patient and tap into his potential.
Jan 28, 2015, 11:17 AM EST
Mirotic, drafted in 2011, is a darkhorse challenger to Andrew Wiggins for Rookie of the Year
Jan 28, 2015, 9:59 AM EST
It probably would matter less than before, but why change the date?
Jan 28, 2015, 9:22 AM EST
Upshaw reportedly failed multiple drug tests at Washington and Fresno State
- He’s on Fire! Kyrie Irving scores 55, knocks down game winning three (VIDEO) 19
- LeBron James out Wednesday vs. Blazers with wrist injury 5
- Home-court advantage means less than ever in NBA. Why? 17
- Nikola Mirotic’s unique style rewarding Bulls for waiting on him 15
- What We Learned in NBA Tuesday Night: Bulls fans should want more of this attacking Derrick Rose 25
- Derrick Rose hits step-back jumper in overtime, lifts Bulls past Warriors (VIDEO) 8
- It’s official: Zach LaVine, Greek Freak Antetokounmpo headline All-Star Dunk Contest 11
- Report: Stephen Curry, Klay Thompson to participate in All-Star weekend’s Three-Point Contest 8