Jun 19, 2014, 8:31 PM EST
Here is our regular look around the NBA — links to stories worth reading and notes to check out (stuff that did not get its own post here at PBT) — done in bullet point form. Because bloggers love bullet points.
• Shelly Sterling went to court Wednesday trying to get a judge to force her husband Donald from harassing psychologists and attorneys that stripped him of his power in the Donald Sterling Trust. The judge told them all to tone the rhetoric down. Judges get annoyed by lawyers looking to try the case through the press.
Here is what really matters: Donald Sterling got his own doctors to do their own tests and according to his attorney (via Ramona Shelburne) they found out he is capable of administering the trust. (The Sterling Family Trust owns the Clippers and Shelly had Donald declared incapacitated, then as the only trustee she agreed to sell the team to Steve Ballmer for $2 billion.) Basically, on July 7-10 a probate judge decides whose doctors are right (with a third set of doctors involved?). If she wins the team is sold. If he wins the other owners go back to Plan A, vote him out and then the team is sold. Same outcome either way.
• Still, you should listen to the Donald Sterling voicemails to the doctors who stripped him of his trusteeship. He’s a bully and it shows here.
• Ramona Shelburne of ESPN wrote the best post yet on the Sterling saga, with all the history. Best thing you’ll read today. It’s brilliant.
• You know how during the NBA Finals Charles Barkley liked to rant about the Heat players forming their own super team? He tried to do the same thing.
• At his press conference Thursday, Pat Riley made it sound like the Heat plan to bring back Long Beach State’s own James Ennis from Australia and have him as part of the team next season. I heard that from other sources during the Finals. He’s athletic and a good fit for their bench.
• The brother of the Greek Freak, Thanasis Antetokounmpo, is working out for teams. He’s not his brother but he might develop, worth a second round pick.
• Memphis acquired a 2015 second-round pick from the Nuggets.
• Vlade Divac wants to get back in the NBA in a front office role.
- Rockets officially sign Josh Smith, who will play Friday night; waive Tarik Black 0
- Clippers win ‘nice, boring’ Christmas Day battle with Warriors 1
- Miami fans give LeBron warm welcome, Heat team not so much in upset win 20
- Russell Westbrook inspires Thunder to skid-stopping win over Spurs 8
- LeBron James, Stephen Curry leading in early All-Star voting returns 22
- PBT Christmas Day preview: Late game between Clippers and Warriors will see league’s best rivalry renewed 1
- PBT Extra: Top 5 NBA stories of 2014 0
- Five things to watch as NBA takes over Christmas Day 16