The teal is back — Charlotte Hornets unveil three new uniforms

Jun 19, 2014, 1:30 PM EST

source:

The Hornets are back. The buzz is back in Charlotte.

And the teal is back.

The Charlotte Hornets (you can flush the Bobcats goodbye) are back and they are bringing back the color scheme they had in Charlotte from 1988 to 2002.

This is part of the re-branding of the Charlotte franchise as the Hornets — the original Hornets were moved to New Orleans by then owner George Shinn (one of the worst owners in NBA history). After that Charlotte got an expansion team that owner Bob Johnson named the Bobcats (after himself?). None of this sat terribly well with locals and what had been one of the better middle/small market crowds in the NBA faded.

Michael Jordan bought the team and was tasked with changing its fortunes . After a slow start, he’s started to figure this ownership thing out. The Bobcats made the playoffs last year and the building was rocking. Then, thanks to the New Orleans franchise changing the name to something more fittingly local to them (Pelicans) the Hornets name came free and Charlotte has snatched it up. Hornets is a name tied to Charlotte back to the Revolutionary War when British General Charles Cornwallis called Charlotte “a hornet’s nest” of revolutionaries. The name always belonged in Charlotte.

So did the teal.

The home white jersey is on the left in the photo above, the purple jersey is the road jersey. The third, alternate jersey is the teal-dominant one and it is the lone jersey with “Charlotte” across the chest rather than the team nickname.

I like the look. I like the future in Charlotte, too.

1. yesser12 - Jun 19, 2014 at 1:33 PM

The old ones were some of the best, these will take some getting use to. The white ones are nice. The other two probably look better in person.

• qdog112 - Jun 28, 2014 at 11:58 AM

Missing the pinstripes …

2. 00maltliquor - Jun 19, 2014 at 1:43 PM

They look good.

3. redmond24 - Jun 19, 2014 at 1:45 PM

These jerseys make me nostalgic for the. NBA I watched when I was growing up.

4. bucrightoff - Jun 19, 2014 at 1:52 PM

Solid, but the stripes should definitely be on those jerseys.

• kinggw - Jun 19, 2014 at 1:56 PM

Agreed, I thought it’d be a given the stripes would be included on their new unis.

• alongthegulf - Jun 24, 2014 at 12:05 PM

You’re right.

5. 1heatedtoombrayduh - Jun 19, 2014 at 2:01 PM

the hornets had some of the best colorways..im sooo happy they came back!!!

6. 1heatedtoombrayduh - Jun 19, 2014 at 2:02 PM

or even have a throwback jersey!

7. davidtmp - Jun 19, 2014 at 2:18 PM

At first glance, I’m not loving the white. But when you look at this past years Bobcat’s jersey, they are basically the same….all white with the stripes down the side. I didn’t have a problem with the ‘Cat’s jerseys, looks like the stripes on the ‘Cat’s jersey could have been wider, but that could just be the angle we see the Hornet’s jersey above. Love the Purple and Teal jerseys!! I’m sure these will be better seen in person.

8. tcclark - Jun 19, 2014 at 2:25 PM

This team name makes so much of a difference for this franchise. The Bobcats have been a laughing stock pretty much since they’ve been creatd, but just by changing their name, there seems to be more hope. They’ve become a young up and coming team instead of the team that foolishly built itself to be stuck in NBA purgatory (ie 7/8 seed). The team name brings back memories of the old Baron Davis teams that were so fun to watch or the days of Dell Curry or Mugsy Bogues, or Larry Johnson. They haven’t made one change to the players on the team, but the idea of them upsetting a higher seed in the East is far more plausible now that they’re not the Bobcats anymore.

I know it’s completely illogical and is probably pretty stupid and might just be me, but that’s how I see it. The Bobcats were going no where, but even though its the same players, I feel like the Hornets have a future.

• davidtmp - Jun 19, 2014 at 3:29 PM

For me, the biggest thing to come out of this name change was the fact they got all the historical records back as well from the time they were the Charlotte Hornets. I know they had Bobby Phills number on the court before they left, would be nice to honor him in some way in the arena as his life was cut way too short.
      But you’re right, it ‘feels” right to have the purple & teal, and Hugo back in Charlotte.

9. stevonnesmith - Jun 19, 2014 at 3:35 PM

I wonder why the NBA logo was left off of the uniforms??

• ogbobbydeas - Jun 20, 2014 at 10:43 AM

They are on the back of them now , in the near future they will feature ads like the WNBA

10. antistratfordian - Jun 19, 2014 at 3:42 PM

Kornets? I prefer Charlotte across the front. People are talking about how they should have the stripes? They do. They’re on the sides. Yeah, I know… it’s not the same. But that’s what the designers would say: “oh the stripes are still there.”

11. tigers182 - Jun 19, 2014 at 4:03 PM

How many expansion teams in pro sports over the last 25 years haven’t had teal and/or purple colors? How many of them have looked good? 0.

12. seattlesuperchronic - Jun 19, 2014 at 4:07 PM

I love ‘em. So happy the Hornets are back. I had nothing against the Bobcats, I just really like the Hornets.

13. ProBasketballPundit - Jun 19, 2014 at 4:45 PM

I’m stoked that Colossus is going to be playing for Charlotte next year.

14. elcaminobilly - Jun 19, 2014 at 5:22 PM

Very cool to see these back! First game I ever saw was a Hornets game, and I hope that at some point, the true pinstripes will return.

15. saint1997 - Jun 19, 2014 at 6:13 PM

Charlotte should draft Dougie, move MKG to the 2

16. kev86 - Jun 19, 2014 at 8:23 PM

Welcome back Hornets. I’d like Oilers in Houston too.

17. mazblast - Jun 19, 2014 at 10:45 PM

Let’s get some other names straight, too. There little if any jazz in Utah, no grizzlies in Memphis, and the only lake I can think of in Los Angeles is the one most if not all of Hollywood should jump in.

• 00maltliquor - Jun 20, 2014 at 1:23 AM

And who wears knickerbockers anymore in 2014?

Jabari Parker injury latest for disappointing rookie class
Top 10 NBA Player Searches