Jun 19, 2014, 2:48 PM EDT
Update: Chris Broussard of ESPN:
The Timberwolves might send Golden State a draft pick? That has to be a joke, right?
I’d guess something just got lost in translation, because that package is too ridiculously slanted in the Warriors’ favor to even ponder.
The bidding war over Kevin Love is heating up.
The Bulls and Celtics and then not the Celtics have been reported leaders at different times. The Nuggets are putting together an interesting package, too. The Rockets saw all this and basically said, “Too rich for my blood.”
Meanwhile, the Warriors had seemingly faded from the picture – probably because they wouldn’t include their top reasonable trade asset, Klay Thompson, in a deal.
But that has changed.
Marc Stein of ESPN:
Thompson is already a good player, and at just 24, he has potential to become one of the NBA’s top shooting guards – if he isn’t one already. He has real value.
Which is why the Timberwolves want him.
Besides Thompson, what can the Warriors really offer? They can’t trade a first-round pick until 2019, though if they wait until after next week’s draft, they could trader a 2015 first rounder. Either way, that won’t cut it.
Thompson alone won’t be enough. The salaries wouldn’t match, and Love requires a bigger return.
As good as Thompson is, Love is already a top 10 player at any position and just a year older. He’s available only because he doesn’t want to stay in Minnesota. You don’t pass on a player like that, at least if you’re confident you can re-sign him, due to Thompson.
Andre Iguodala can play either wing position, and Draymond Green (based on current ability) and Harrison Barnes (based on perceived potential) could easily stand to receive more playing time. Replacing Thompson wouldn’t be that difficult.
- Portland comes from 10 down in fourth quarter to win 99-92, stay alive in series 0
- Bucks stay alive behind big backcourt performance to force Game 6 vs. Bulls 10
- Incredible 35-point performance from Deron Williams leads Nets to overtime Game 4 win over Hawks 9
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Wizard’s defense peaking at right time 2
- Report: Chandler Parsons to have knee surgery, could require microfracture surgery 6
- Cavaliers’ J.R. Smith gets two-game suspension for shot to Jae Crowder’s head 38
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Draymond Green helped hold Anthony Davis in relative check 6
- Cavaliers’ Kevin Love out for entire conference semifinals (likely vs. Bulls) 15