Jun 19, 2014, 2:48 PM EDT
Update: Chris Broussard of ESPN:
Sources: Twolves & Warriors discussing Possible trade: KLove, KMartin, JJBarea, 13th pick for Klay Thompson and David Lee—
Chris Broussard (@Chris_Broussard) June 19, 2014
The Timberwolves might send Golden State a draft pick? That has to be a joke, right?
I’d guess something just got lost in translation, because that package is too ridiculously slanted in the Warriors’ favor to even ponder.
The bidding war over Kevin Love is heating up.
The Bulls and Celtics and then not the Celtics have been reported leaders at different times. The Nuggets are putting together an interesting package, too. The Rockets saw all this and basically said, “Too rich for my blood.”
Meanwhile, the Warriors had seemingly faded from the picture – probably because they wouldn’t include their top reasonable trade asset, Klay Thompson, in a deal.
But that has changed.
Marc Stein of ESPN:
ESPN sources say Golden State has indeed made Klay Thompson available to Wolves, greatly increasingly Warriors' hopes of getting Kevin Love—
Marc Stein (@ESPNSteinLine) June 19, 2014
Thompson is already a good player, and at just 24, he has potential to become one of the NBA’s top shooting guards – if he isn’t one already. He has real value.
Which is why the Timberwolves want him.
Besides Thompson, what can the Warriors really offer? They can’t trade a first-round pick until 2019, though if they wait until after next week’s draft, they could trader a 2015 first rounder. Either way, that won’t cut it.
Thompson alone won’t be enough. The salaries wouldn’t match, and Love requires a bigger return.
As good as Thompson is, Love is already a top 10 player at any position and just a year older. He’s available only because he doesn’t want to stay in Minnesota. You don’t pass on a player like that, at least if you’re confident you can re-sign him, due to Thompson.
Andre Iguodala can play either wing position, and Draymond Green (based on current ability) and Harrison Barnes (based on perceived potential) could easily stand to receive more playing time. Replacing Thompson wouldn’t be that difficult.
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 0
- Kevin Durant knows you’re talking about his free agency but isn’t giving many clues. He liked what LeBron did. 12
- Byron Scott makes ridiculous optimism sound reasonable 39
- Derrick Rose told Carmelo Anthony that if he came to Chicago “the game would be easy” 40
- LeBron James strips on stage, throws clothes into crowd (video) 21
- Is DeMarcus Cousins the big man Team USA can lean on? 18
- Lakers make it official — finally — and hire Byron Scott as head coach 13
- Derrick Rose: “I’ve become a smarter player, but I’m mad it took me seven years to learn it.” 29