Jun 19, 2014, 2:48 PM EDT
Update: Chris Broussard of ESPN:
Sources: Twolves & Warriors discussing Possible trade: KLove, KMartin, JJBarea, 13th pick for Klay Thompson and David Lee—
Chris Broussard (@Chris_Broussard) June 19, 2014
The Timberwolves might send Golden State a draft pick? That has to be a joke, right?
I’d guess something just got lost in translation, because that package is too ridiculously slanted in the Warriors’ favor to even ponder.
The bidding war over Kevin Love is heating up.
The Bulls and Celtics and then not the Celtics have been reported leaders at different times. The Nuggets are putting together an interesting package, too. The Rockets saw all this and basically said, “Too rich for my blood.”
Meanwhile, the Warriors had seemingly faded from the picture – probably because they wouldn’t include their top reasonable trade asset, Klay Thompson, in a deal.
But that has changed.
Marc Stein of ESPN:
ESPN sources say Golden State has indeed made Klay Thompson available to Wolves, greatly increasingly Warriors' hopes of getting Kevin Love—
Marc Stein (@ESPNSteinLine) June 19, 2014
Thompson is already a good player, and at just 24, he has potential to become one of the NBA’s top shooting guards – if he isn’t one already. He has real value.
Which is why the Timberwolves want him.
Besides Thompson, what can the Warriors really offer? They can’t trade a first-round pick until 2019, though if they wait until after next week’s draft, they could trader a 2015 first rounder. Either way, that won’t cut it.
Thompson alone won’t be enough. The salaries wouldn’t match, and Love requires a bigger return.
As good as Thompson is, Love is already a top 10 player at any position and just a year older. He’s available only because he doesn’t want to stay in Minnesota. You don’t pass on a player like that, at least if you’re confident you can re-sign him, due to Thompson.
Andre Iguodala can play either wing position, and Draymond Green (based on current ability) and Harrison Barnes (based on perceived potential) could easily stand to receive more playing time. Replacing Thompson wouldn’t be that difficult.
- 67RIEFNS No. 1: Tom Thibodeau managing his bigs 10
- Derrick Rose knows injury questions will keep coming. And coming. And coming. 7
- FIBA World Cup preview: USA, Spain, then who else can medal? 0
- Official ‘Clippers’ Number 1 Fan’ on herself and Donald Sterling: ‘I’ll always feel it’s our team’ 16
- Cavaliers GM admits concerns about rim protection on defense 18
- Coach K had DeMarcus Cousins as USA’s backup big long before final cuts 6
- World Cup preview: No Durant, no problem USA still one of two teams with legit shot to win gold 6
- Cavaliers sold Kyrie Irving on contract extension with LeBron James-Kevin Love plan 34