Jun 19, 2014, 2:00 PM EST
David Blatt left Maccabi Tel Aviv to join the NBA, even though he didn’t know where in the NBA he’d land.
Maybe – even after interviewing with Cleveland – he could reverse his priorities.
David Pick of Eurobasket.com:
First of all, there’s no guarantee Blatt even has the option to choose between the jobs.
The Cavaliers have interviewed Alvin Gentry and Tyronn Lue twice. Mark Price interviewed once and might get a second interview. Even after Price’s initial interview, Mark Jackson emerged as a possibility.
There are a lot of names in the hat. Blatt’s is only one.
There’s also no telling whether Blatt is listening to those advisers. Presumably, the Warriors job is on the table to take at any time. If he really wanted it most, he could probably already have it.
But if he ultimately bypasses the Cleveland process to become an assistant elsewhere, that would be a huge slap in the face to Dan Gilbert and the Cavaliers. It’s one thing when John Calipari takes Kentucky’s money rather than yours, but a coach with no NBA experience preferring to be an assistant elsewhere rather than your head coach? Yikes.
It makes me wonder, have the Cavs not hired a coach yet because they’re still deciding on the best choice, or can they not convince someone to take the job?
Blatt would be strong choice for the Cavaliers, and as Pick reported, their interview went well. But it sounds as if both sides need to impress each other.
- PBT’s weekly NBA Power Rankings: Santa brings Warriors top spot, lump of coal for Knicks 7
- Clippers, Mavericks, Rockets and Kings reportedly interested in signing Josh Smith 13
- Pistons release Josh Smith. WHAT? 52
- Lakers may give Kobe Bryant some nights off to rest. If he wants them. 27
- PBT’s Sunday Night Winners/Losers: Anthony Davis is playing like an MVP 13
- Sources: Kings prefer George Karl, not serious about hiring Mark Jackson 8
- Nuggets Danilo Gallinari has meniscus tear in right knee, out three weeks after surgery 7
- Rajon Rondo was very Rondoesque in debut with Mavericks (VIDEO) 20