Jun 19, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT
David Blatt left Maccabi Tel Aviv to join the NBA, even though he didn’t know where in the NBA he’d land.
Maybe – even after interviewing with Cleveland – he could reverse his priorities.
David Pick of Eurobasket.com:
First of all, there’s no guarantee Blatt even has the option to choose between the jobs.
The Cavaliers have interviewed Alvin Gentry and Tyronn Lue twice. Mark Price interviewed once and might get a second interview. Even after Price’s initial interview, Mark Jackson emerged as a possibility.
There are a lot of names in the hat. Blatt’s is only one.
There’s also no telling whether Blatt is listening to those advisers. Presumably, the Warriors job is on the table to take at any time. If he really wanted it most, he could probably already have it.
But if he ultimately bypasses the Cleveland process to become an assistant elsewhere, that would be a huge slap in the face to Dan Gilbert and the Cavaliers. It’s one thing when John Calipari takes Kentucky’s money rather than yours, but a coach with no NBA experience preferring to be an assistant elsewhere rather than your head coach? Yikes.
It makes me wonder, have the Cavs not hired a coach yet because they’re still deciding on the best choice, or can they not convince someone to take the job?
Blatt would be strong choice for the Cavaliers, and as Pick reported, their interview went well. But it sounds as if both sides need to impress each other.
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Miami Heat 3
- Mike Miller points to him being amnestied as start of LeBron James leaving Miami 11
- Kobe Bryant thinks he could physically play beyond contract extension 13
- Trey Burke, in wake of nude-photo scandal: ‘My judgments will be much better’ 12
- Report: Kevin Durant says he wants to play in 2016 Olympics (his free agent summer) 5
- Morris twins sign four-year extensions with Suns 11
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Washington Wizards 3
- Rockets’ Daryl Morey fires back at Mark Cuban: If you care about chemistry, why break up a title team? 36