Jun 19, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT
David Blatt left Maccabi Tel Aviv to join the NBA, even though he didn’t know where in the NBA he’d land.
Maybe – even after interviewing with Cleveland – he could reverse his priorities.
David Pick of Eurobasket.com:
First of all, there’s no guarantee Blatt even has the option to choose between the jobs.
The Cavaliers have interviewed Alvin Gentry and Tyronn Lue twice. Mark Price interviewed once and might get a second interview. Even after Price’s initial interview, Mark Jackson emerged as a possibility.
There are a lot of names in the hat. Blatt’s is only one.
There’s also no telling whether Blatt is listening to those advisers. Presumably, the Warriors job is on the table to take at any time. If he really wanted it most, he could probably already have it.
But if he ultimately bypasses the Cleveland process to become an assistant elsewhere, that would be a huge slap in the face to Dan Gilbert and the Cavaliers. It’s one thing when John Calipari takes Kentucky’s money rather than yours, but a coach with no NBA experience preferring to be an assistant elsewhere rather than your head coach? Yikes.
It makes me wonder, have the Cavs not hired a coach yet because they’re still deciding on the best choice, or can they not convince someone to take the job?
Blatt would be strong choice for the Cavaliers, and as Pick reported, their interview went well. But it sounds as if both sides need to impress each other.
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Cleveland may want to cover Curry in the left corner 2
- It’s official: Scott Skiles hired as head coach of Orlando Magic 20
- PBT Podcast: Talking Thibodeau/Bulls divorce; future for Rockets, Hawks 0
- Warriors’ Klay Thompson officially diagnosed with concussion 20
- Klay Thompson should not have been cleared to return to Game 5 after concussion evaluation 15
- Dwight Howard suspended one game after foul switcheroo 18
- Three coaches who may replace Tom Thibodeau in Chicago 12
- Report: Kevin Love going to “look around” this summer as free agent; Celtics, Lakers, Rockets possible 49