Jun 19, 2014, 2:00 PM EST
David Blatt left Maccabi Tel Aviv to join the NBA, even though he didn’t know where in the NBA he’d land.
Maybe – even after interviewing with Cleveland – he could reverse his priorities.
David Pick of Eurobasket.com:
First of all, there’s no guarantee Blatt even has the option to choose between the jobs.
The Cavaliers have interviewed Alvin Gentry and Tyronn Lue twice. Mark Price interviewed once and might get a second interview. Even after Price’s initial interview, Mark Jackson emerged as a possibility.
There are a lot of names in the hat. Blatt’s is only one.
There’s also no telling whether Blatt is listening to those advisers. Presumably, the Warriors job is on the table to take at any time. If he really wanted it most, he could probably already have it.
But if he ultimately bypasses the Cleveland process to become an assistant elsewhere, that would be a huge slap in the face to Dan Gilbert and the Cavaliers. It’s one thing when John Calipari takes Kentucky’s money rather than yours, but a coach with no NBA experience preferring to be an assistant elsewhere rather than your head coach? Yikes.
It makes me wonder, have the Cavs not hired a coach yet because they’re still deciding on the best choice, or can they not convince someone to take the job?
Blatt would be strong choice for the Cavaliers, and as Pick reported, their interview went well. But it sounds as if both sides need to impress each other.
- He’s on Fire! Kyrie Irving scores 55, knocks down game winning three (VIDEO) 28
- LeBron James out Wednesday vs. Blazers with wrist injury 5
- Home-court advantage means less than ever in NBA. Why? 17
- Nikola Mirotic’s unique style rewarding Bulls for waiting on him 15
- What We Learned in NBA Tuesday Night: Bulls fans should want more of this attacking Derrick Rose 25
- Derrick Rose hits step-back jumper in overtime, lifts Bulls past Warriors (VIDEO) 8
- It’s official: Zach LaVine, Greek Freak Antetokounmpo headline All-Star Dunk Contest 11
- Report: Stephen Curry, Klay Thompson to participate in All-Star weekend’s Three-Point Contest 8