Jun 19, 2014, 4:27 PM EDT
From Adrian Griffin to Alvin Gentry to Vinny Del Negro to Tyronn Lue to Lionel Hollins to David Blatt to John Calipari to Gentry and Lue again to Mark Jackson – the Cavaliers coaching search has been a long, strange, fun trip.
And now it might finally be ending.
Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports:
As many missteps as the Cavaliers made along the way, they fundamentally ran a good search. They cast a wide net, interviewed candidates of all experience levels and let the cream rise to the top.
Blatt carries an excellent track record, winning with multiple overseas clubs. He most recently coached Maccabi Tel Aviv and previously coached Russia’s national team. Renowned for his innovative offense, Blatt could help Kyrie Irving reach the next level.
Nobody knows how Blatt will translate to the NBA, but his head-coaching experience is reassuring. It might be a smaller jump from the Euroleague to the NBA than it is from an assistant’s chair to the top chair. Blatt definitely has the potential to be a home-run hire.
If he accepts.
That Lue is the other finalist is important information, because Blatt might turn down the job to become an assistant for Steve Kerr’s Warriors. Obviously, head-coaching jobs are typically more desirable than assistant positions, but Dan Gilbert looms over everything.
There are several considerations for Blatt, including:
- How much will each team pay him?
- How much does he value being a head coach over being an assistant?
- How does he rate the Cavaliers and, to a lesser extent, the Warriors?
- How likely is he to get another head-coaching offer based on which job he takes now?
Two teams – and Lue – await his answers.
Aug 4, 2015, 9:56 PM EDT
Exum suffered the injury in an exhibition game in Slovenia.
Aug 4, 2015, 9:00 PM EDT
Bradley Beal also headed to Las Vegas
Aug 4, 2015, 8:01 PM EDT
That would derail a lot of the Jazz’s positive momentum
Aug 4, 2015, 7:02 PM EDT
Aug 4, 2015, 6:02 PM EDT
Everything good now between the Kings franchise player and coach?
Aug 4, 2015, 5:13 PM EDT
This is the real deal
Aug 4, 2015, 4:18 PM EDT
Exum was playing for Australia against Slovenia
Aug 4, 2015, 3:33 PM EDT
Will former Iowa State star make Orlando’s team?
Aug 4, 2015, 2:44 PM EDT
If you don’t get it, ask someone younger
Aug 4, 2015, 1:45 PM EDT
Kobe doesn’t know how he’ll feel next summer. You can’t blame him for that.
Aug 4, 2015, 1:10 PM EDT
No. No they will not.
Aug 4, 2015, 12:30 PM EDT
The Serbian national team is expected to protest it.
Aug 4, 2015, 11:57 AM EDT
He will battle Kyle O’Quinn to backup Robin Lopez.
Aug 4, 2015, 10:45 AM EDT
Lawson and Brewer put up impressive offensive numbers together in Denver.
Aug 4, 2015, 10:05 AM EDT
I’m no fashion critic, but they’re not bad.
Aug 4, 2015, 9:14 AM EDT
Somehow I bet he still cashes his paychecks rather than actually playing for free.
Aug 4, 2015, 8:34 AM EDT
Even if he could sign an extension, he wouldn’t.
Aug 4, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
The Morris twins have denied any involvement, or even knowing the victim.
Aug 4, 2015, 1:05 AM EDT
Thinking long-term is the smart approach, the only one the Mavericks should consider
Aug 3, 2015, 11:17 PM EDT
Kobe Bryant is Beatles during the British Invasion level popular in China.
- Report: Dante Exum diagnosed with torn ACL 0
- Kobe Bryant, can this Laker team make the playoffs? “Of course it can. Absolutely.” 20
- Report: Knicks reach deal with backup center Kevin Seraphin 7
- Raptors officially unveil new uniforms, yes there is a Drake-inspired one 20
- Ray Allen: “I won’t officially retire” 12
- Report: Adidas makes $200 million offer to James Harden 23
- Jahlil Okafor: “Rookie of the Year is one of the goals I set for myself” 16
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 9