Jun 19, 2014, 4:27 PM EST
From Adrian Griffin to Alvin Gentry to Vinny Del Negro to Tyronn Lue to Lionel Hollins to David Blatt to John Calipari to Gentry and Lue again to Mark Jackson – the Cavaliers coaching search has been a long, strange, fun trip.
And now it might finally be ending.
Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports:
As many missteps as the Cavaliers made along the way, they fundamentally ran a good search. They cast a wide net, interviewed candidates of all experience levels and let the cream rise to the top.
Blatt carries an excellent track record, winning with multiple overseas clubs. He most recently coached Maccabi Tel Aviv and previously coached Russia’s national team. Renowned for his innovative offense, Blatt could help Kyrie Irving reach the next level.
Nobody knows how Blatt will translate to the NBA, but his head-coaching experience is reassuring. It might be a smaller jump from the Euroleague to the NBA than it is from an assistant’s chair to the top chair. Blatt definitely has the potential to be a home-run hire.
If he accepts.
That Lue is the other finalist is important information, because Blatt might turn down the job to become an assistant for Steve Kerr’s Warriors. Obviously, head-coaching jobs are typically more desirable than assistant positions, but Dan Gilbert looms over everything.
There are several considerations for Blatt, including:
- How much will each team pay him?
- How much does he value being a head coach over being an assistant?
- How does he rate the Cavaliers and, to a lesser extent, the Warriors?
- How likely is he to get another head-coaching offer based on which job he takes now?
Two teams – and Lue – await his answers.
Mar 2, 2015, 10:30 PM EST
Whiteside grabbed Len by the legs.
Mar 2, 2015, 9:45 PM EST
Hamilton had no chance.
Mar 2, 2015, 9:00 PM EST
Yes, you read that right.
Mar 2, 2015, 8:15 PM EST
Teletovic is also out for the season.
Mar 2, 2015, 7:30 PM EST
We’ll see about that.
Mar 2, 2015, 6:44 PM EST
He will sit out Tuesday vs. Atlanta.
Mar 2, 2015, 6:15 PM EST
Nine total shoes, three colorways each.
Mar 2, 2015, 5:30 PM EST
Has his extra run and touches since Josh Smith was released changing the dynamic in Detroit?
Mar 2, 2015, 4:30 PM EST
Nobody is talking about Dwight Howard as long as the Rockets are winning.
Mar 2, 2015, 3:45 PM EST
The Knicks got some wins and move out of the cellar.
Mar 2, 2015, 3:08 PM EST
Wizards forward has twice been suspended following altercations with Chicago
Mar 2, 2015, 2:28 PM EST
Lakers guard says he can take a joke – just not this one
Mar 2, 2015, 1:45 PM EST
Bulls facing big challenge without their best player
Doc Rivers on DeAndre Jordan for Defensive Player of the Year: ‘If anybody else gets that award, we need to have an investigation’
Mar 2, 2015, 1:18 PM EST
Clippers coach: ‘What he’s doing defensively, if he was doing that offensively, he would be recognized as the MVP’
Mar 2, 2015, 12:38 PM EST
I can’t wait
Mar 2, 2015, 11:59 AM EST
Sleeves notwithstanding, these are good
Mar 2, 2015, 11:21 AM EST
Trail Blazers’ Paul Allen falls to No. 2 among NBA owners
Mar 2, 2015, 10:32 AM EST
Trail Blazers center has moves – or at least a move
Mar 2, 2015, 9:53 AM EST
For some reason, Bulls fans boo this athletic feat
Mar 2, 2015, 9:07 AM EST
LeBron: ‘I have no idea why he would do that’
- League suspends James Harden one game for kick to LeBron James’ groin 17
- PBT’s weekly NBA Power Rankings: Hawks seem to be out of malaise. Maybe. 8
- Report: Jimmy Butler could miss three to four weeks with elbow injury 5
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: James Harden, LeBron James want your MVP vote 11
- Report: Sixers agree to buyout with JaVale McGee; he can sign with contender 36
- Bulls’ Jimmy Butler leaves with elbow injury, does not return (VIDEO) 0
- Adam Silver says data may prove Gregg Popovich right in terms of resting multiple players 18
- Rockets general manager Daryl Morey proposes loosening NBA trade rules 6