NBA logo will move to back of jerseys for 2014-15 season

Jun 19, 2014, 9:31 PM EDT

jefferson hornets

When the Charlotte Hornets revealed their new uniforms on Thursday, there was one specific detail missing from the front of those purple, white and teal jerseys that looked so spectacular.

The NBA logo, normally emblazoned on the front, appeared to have gone missing.

Apparently this wasn’t an accident, however, as all 30 teams will be following suit with their jerseys for the 2014-15 season.

From Paul Lukas of ESPN.com:

When the Charlotte Hornets unveiled their new uniforms on Thursday morning, many fans noticed a small but telling detail: The NBA’s ubiquitous red, white, and blue logo was missing from familiar position on the upper-chest area of the new jerseys.

Instead, it appeared on the back, above the player names.

Now all NBA teams will be wearing the logo on the back for the 2014-15 season, the league confirmed to ESPN.com. A league official called it a “stylistic move” but declined to comment further.

Decisions like these aren’t made without reason, and style alone isn’t enough to justify this new policy.

This is likely paving the way for ads to appear on the front of the jerseys, which is something that Adam Silver hasn’t at all shied away from since taking the reigns as commissioner. The logo would be a competing visual element, and relocating it to the back of the jersey would also help in creating additional real estate where ads could eventually be placed.

1. dondada10 - Jun 19, 2014 at 9:53 PM

Advertisements do already exist on jerseys. It’s currently adidas and they pay a fortune.

2. greatmiamisportsmind - Jun 19, 2014 at 9:57 PM

Stylistic in the form to get the front more open so we can see each NBA team dawn WNBA like jerseys with sponsors plastered on it like a NASCAR car.

3. jollyjoker2 - Jun 19, 2014 at 10:01 PM

don’t get it..we know they play in the NBA…I suppose the kids have to make sure they get the official jersey.!

4. tmatic74 - Jun 19, 2014 at 10:25 PM

That looks awful!!! It looks like a tag less shirt with the tag printed on the wrong side. Sleeve jerseys now this. I’m sure the powers that be are not checking for player feedback.

5. mazblast - Jun 19, 2014 at 10:53 PM

It’s all deisgned to sell more sh**. Make the gullible think anyone cares whether they have ‘the newest, the hippest”, etc., then sell them this year’s version of the 17 different uniforms each team seems to wear each season.

Call me old school if you like, but I don’t see the point in calling it a uniform if it’s never uniform.

• dondada10 - Jun 19, 2014 at 11:05 PM

I think the whole point of the sleeved jersey is that the average NBA fan can’t casually wear a traditional jersey out and about. With sleeved jerseys you can sell them to anybody who feels comfortable wearing a t-shirt in public.

• calkinsrob - Jun 20, 2014 at 9:58 AM

ignore the dislikes thats the main reason. Im 24 and at this point in my life I rarely see any situation where it would be acceptable for me to wear a sleeveless jersey, even with a t-shirt underneath. hell even while playing bball, people thing your a loser if you wear a jersey haha

• monkeyhateclean - Jun 20, 2014 at 10:55 AM

Dude, do you even lift?!

6. gmsalpha - Jun 20, 2014 at 12:03 AM

I can’t wait to buy an official replica jersey of my favorite team, complete with a BK Whopper logo on the chest and a Dell computer logo on the sleeve (please make those sleeved jerseys disappear!!!). Because everyone knows that this Christmas, the only thing I want is a corporate sponsor-filled NBA jersey of my favorite player.

7. 00maltliquor - Jun 20, 2014 at 12:35 AM

Horrible

8. xLith - Jun 20, 2014 at 8:19 AM

Nothing says professional like a bunch of ads glued to a jersey like a scrapbook.

9. droman79 - Jun 20, 2014 at 8:47 AM

It’s a business, put all the ads you want. I wish it would result in lower ticket prices, but you know that’s not happening.

10. ranfan12 - Jun 20, 2014 at 9:34 AM

I can’t understand the NBA finals logo being on the back of a jersey. Seems like it defeats the purpose imo

11. knicksdyinghard - Jun 20, 2014 at 11:23 AM

I don’t like it. Too much ads already & NBA getting greedy money-wise.

Why can't Lakers have a player-coach?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches