Jun 19, 2014, 9:31 PM EDT
When the Charlotte Hornets revealed their new uniforms on Thursday, there was one specific detail missing from the front of those purple, white and teal jerseys that looked so spectacular.
The NBA logo, normally emblazoned on the front, appeared to have gone missing.
Apparently this wasn’t an accident, however, as all 30 teams will be following suit with their jerseys for the 2014-15 season.
From Paul Lukas of ESPN.com:
When the Charlotte Hornets unveiled their new uniforms on Thursday morning, many fans noticed a small but telling detail: The NBA’s ubiquitous red, white, and blue logo was missing from familiar position on the upper-chest area of the new jerseys.
Instead, it appeared on the back, above the player names.
Now all NBA teams will be wearing the logo on the back for the 2014-15 season, the league confirmed to ESPN.com. A league official called it a “stylistic move” but declined to comment further.
Decisions like these aren’t made without reason, and style alone isn’t enough to justify this new policy.
This is likely paving the way for ads to appear on the front of the jerseys, which is something that Adam Silver hasn’t at all shied away from since taking the reigns as commissioner. The logo would be a competing visual element, and relocating it to the back of the jersey would also help in creating additional real estate where ads could eventually be placed.
- NBA Draft prospect matchups to watch in NCAA Tourament this weekend 2
- Report: LeBron James frustrated with Kevin Love for not fitting in 83
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Kevin Love seems to be fitting in just fine suddenly 4
- It’s official: Dwight Howard will return to Rockets’ lineup Wednesday 2
- Dwyane Wade on MVP race: “I would say James Harden” 27
- Report: Rockets’ Patrick Beverley has torn ligament in wrist, to decide course in 7-10 days 2
- Derrick Rose expects to be cleared for contact soon, says he feels no pain in right knee 9
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Tuesday: Warriors win Pacific Division, may win much more 20