Jazz can’t get Marcus Smart to work out for them

Jun 19, 2014, 10:44 AM EST

Marcus Smart Marcus Smart

Joel Embiid, Andrew Wiggins and Jabari Parker are the consensus top three prospects in the 2014 NBA draft. Dante Exum, in many circles, is emerging as the fourth best.

That leaves the Utah Jazz, who have the No. 5 pick.

Several players fit in that next tier: Aaron Gordon, Julius Randle, Marcus Smart, Noah Vonleh. The Jazz – who have intriguing young players at every position but nobody who commands drafting to build around – must do their due diligence to separate that pack.

Smart isn’t making it any easier on them, according to Walter Perrin, Utah’s Vice President of Player Personnel.

Tony Jones of The Salt Lake Tribune:

Obviously, the Jazz can still draft Smart without a workout. If he really didn’t want to go to Utah, he’d have two options.

1. Play in another league outside the NBA. If he does this, the Jazz would continue to hold his NBA rights.

2. Sit out and don’t play professionally anywhere. If he does this, he could re-enter the draft next year.

Maybe the threat of either scenario would convince the Jazz to pass on him, but players rarely go to those lengths. If Utah drafts Smart, he’ll almost certainly play for there next season.

The Jazz’s problem is the two teams drafting after them, the Celtics and Lakers, are viewed as much more appealing destinations. It’s easy to justify taking a slight salary dip by getting picked lower if it means going to Boston or Los Angeles.

So what should Utah do?

A Trey Burke-Smart backcourt might be rocky at first, but there’s potential for growth. Smart would defend better guards, and Burke – once he gets his NBA legs under him – should complement Smart’s slashing with outside shooting. Lineups with two point guards have proven effective all over the NBA.

If Smart is the best prospect available, draft him. The Jazz have two years at Oklahoma State to review plus his time with the U.S. National U19 team.

A workout might help, but it’s not necessary to determine Smart’s value.

1. imakcds - Jun 19, 2014 at 10:47 AM

what should Utah do?
    stop being a foreign country, maybe???

• azarkhan - Jun 19, 2014 at 10:51 AM

I think you are confusing Utah with California.

• imakcds - Jun 19, 2014 at 11:03 AM

azarkhan sure sounds like a middle eastern name, so try telling us about your country, not something you know nothing about…

• reesesteel23 - Jun 19, 2014 at 11:07 AM

wow….what a d!ck you are imakcds

• RavenzGunnerz - Jun 19, 2014 at 11:17 AM

Move that team a few miles to Las Vegas… it becomes an instant contender and the top destination for FAs… but the NBA….

2. amlowlife - Jun 19, 2014 at 10:49 AM

I feel for ya, Marcus. Utah would be a tough place to land.

• nomoreliesfortoday - Jun 19, 2014 at 12:22 PM

Yeah, clean air. low crime rate. beautiful scenario. Sounds horrible.

• bigmeechy74 - Jun 19, 2014 at 2:17 PM

Yeah. Millions of dollars. Not much pressure. That would be brutal. poor guy

• sugarkeyboards - Jun 19, 2014 at 4:53 PM

nomoreliesfortoday, I live in salt lake, and we literally have some of the WORST AIR in the country. its horrible. The city itself is pretty beautiful tho, but other than that its not a lovely place. If I was an NBA player, I wouldnt mind playing here, but if I’d still much rather play somewhere else.

3. jsala02 - Jun 19, 2014 at 10:55 AM

I hope they draft him

4. mogogo1 - Jun 19, 2014 at 10:59 AM

I get there are destinations that players would prefer not to land, but if he’s that hard to work with prior to being drafted what is he going to be like after he signs a big contract? I’d think this would concern GMs of teams other than just the Jazz.

5. reesesteel23 - Jun 19, 2014 at 11:08 AM

You’re not helping that image there buddy….

6. soundsofsuccess7 - Jun 19, 2014 at 12:02 PM

Smart is going to be a Laker and he knows it. He knows starting alongside Kobe is exponentially better than any opportunity Utah can offer him and he knows going to Utah would not give him a good chance to succeed.

Smart essentially telling Utah to not take him is smart.

• 1historian - Jun 19, 2014 at 12:51 PM

Have to agree. The draft is essentially unfair – the players don’t get to pick their employers – but it is legalized unfairness. If you can juke the system go for it. Elway, Manning, etc.

7. 00maltliquor - Jun 19, 2014 at 12:05 PM

I feel him. Why would you want to start your career on a team that already drafted a budding PG just the year before?! I’m sure he doesn’t want to play SG, which is where I’m most sure they’d put him. That and who wants to go to Utah! Noooo thank you. I gaureentee they still draft him though, no one else makes sense. They need a SG more then anything else and those other guys are PFs. Favors just barely got to start and that’s their guy.

What they should REALLY do is trade the pick for an established player. They really don’t need anymore kids on that team.

• onebigredrocket - Jun 19, 2014 at 12:46 PM

Shuddup!

8. campcouch - Jun 19, 2014 at 12:24 PM

Cleanthony Early. Not another PG.

9. bigmeechy74 - Jun 19, 2014 at 2:20 PM

Oklahoma State fan here… All I heard about this guy after he was recruited was about how he was basically the greatest human being/basketball player of all time. Then all the announcers and local media slurped on him from day one. I fell for the hype… at first. I was excited when he came back. Then the season started and I realized he is VERY overrated. He is one of the worst shooters I’ve ever seen on a basketball court. I literally think I could beat him in HORSE today and I haven’t played ball in ten years. His “leadership qualities” are a joke too. He came back so they could finish under .500 in conference then lose to an undermanned gonzaga team in the tourney. He is a bust in the making

10. rushbacker - Jun 19, 2014 at 6:07 PM

Just getting to play in the L– and make millions of dollars, even on his rookie deal– isn’t good enough for him? What a friggin’ douchge. Makes me kinda hope he goes to LA or Boston, and washes out of the league in a couple of years.

11. khmerson562 - Jun 19, 2014 at 6:46 PM

Dez Bryant of the nba. Would love to have him in the lakers uniform .

12. jkirby317 - Jun 19, 2014 at 11:13 PM

No way they don’t draft Doug McDermott. Calling it.

13. kavika6 - Jun 20, 2014 at 2:17 AM

Forget about that d-bag Jazz. Trade up for Jabari.

Could Sixers be worst team in NBA history?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches