Jun 19, 2014, 11:19 AM EDT
He’s still going to opt out of his contract, test the free agent market and let other teams recruit him.
But do not count the New York Knicks out of the Carmelo Anthony running.
Anthony met with Phil Jackson and coach Derek Fisher last Friday in Los Angeles and while the Knicks thought it went well Anthony is still going to opt-out (not opt-in for a year as Jackson had hoped).
What did Anthony think of the meeting? He was asked that at a promotional event Wednesday by ESPNNewYork.com.
“It was great meeting with Phil, it went well,” Anthony told two reporters at an event on Wednesday in Manhattan to promote his partnership with 50 Cent and SMS Audio headphones.
On Fisher’s hiring, Anthony added: “I like what Phil is doing.”
Pretty generic and exactly what you’d expect him to say.
Anthony is going to take a good look around, make no mistake. If winning now is what matters more than money or being the star in the bright lights of New York he likely moves on. But Anthony loves playing for the Knicks and he loves New York, he sees changes there and it’s not going to be easy to walk away.
Dan Patrick Show: Could Carmelo Anthony rejuvenate the Heat?
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Cleveland may want to cover Curry in the left corner 1
- It’s official: Scott Skiles hired as head coach of Orlando Magic 18
- PBT Podcast: Talking Thibodeau/Bulls divorce; future for Rockets, Hawks 0
- Warriors’ Klay Thompson officially diagnosed with concussion 17
- Klay Thompson should not have been cleared to return to Game 5 after concussion evaluation 15
- Dwight Howard suspended one game after foul switcheroo 18
- Three coaches who may replace Tom Thibodeau in Chicago 12