Jun 19, 2014, 11:19 AM EDT
He’s still going to opt out of his contract, test the free agent market and let other teams recruit him.
But do not count the New York Knicks out of the Carmelo Anthony running.
Anthony met with Phil Jackson and coach Derek Fisher last Friday in Los Angeles and while the Knicks thought it went well Anthony is still going to opt-out (not opt-in for a year as Jackson had hoped).
What did Anthony think of the meeting? He was asked that at a promotional event Wednesday by ESPNNewYork.com.
“It was great meeting with Phil, it went well,” Anthony told two reporters at an event on Wednesday in Manhattan to promote his partnership with 50 Cent and SMS Audio headphones.
On Fisher’s hiring, Anthony added: “I like what Phil is doing.”
Pretty generic and exactly what you’d expect him to say.
Anthony is going to take a good look around, make no mistake. If winning now is what matters more than money or being the star in the bright lights of New York he likely moves on. But Anthony loves playing for the Knicks and he loves New York, he sees changes there and it’s not going to be easy to walk away.
Dan Patrick Show: Could Carmelo Anthony rejuvenate the Heat?
- USA cruises past Finland in World Cup opener, 114-55 0
- World Cup Preview: USA vs. Finland, what to expect 4
- James Harden on Kobe Bryant return: “He’s 20-year-old Kobe” 30
- Chris Paul discusses his signature shoe, hoops with media at launch of his Jordan Brand CP3 VIII (VIDEO) 5
- 67RIEFNS No. 1: Tom Thibodeau managing his bigs 22
- Derrick Rose knows injury questions will keep coming. And coming. And coming. 11
- FIBA World Cup preview: USA, Spain, then who else can medal? 2
- Official ‘Clippers’ Number 1 Fan’ on herself and Donald Sterling: ‘I’ll always feel it’s our team’ 21