Jun 19, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
Picks: 2, 31, 36, 48
Needs: EVERYTHING. The 76ers finished with four more wins than Milwaukee. The 76ers!
The Bucks’ top prospect is Giannis Antetokounmpo, but even he’s not good enough to justify taking anyone other than the best player available. Besides, his best position could end up anywhere between point guard and power forward. He could play with anyone.
Take the best player available.
Trade possibilities: If the Cavaliers don’t pounce first, Maybe Milwaukee can trade down with Philadelphia so the 76ers can get Wiggins. If the Bucks prefer Wiggins for themselves, it’s probably not worth it. But if they want someone else, a well-executed bluff could net extra assets.
Otherwise, not much is cooking, though that could always change before draft night.
Predictions: The Bucks have worked or will work out Embiid, Wiggins, Parker and Dante Exum. Milwaukee is clearly doing its homework, analyzing the consensus top three prospects and even glimpsing the intriguing Exum.
If the Cavaliers take him Embiid No. 1, Milwaukee could go with Parker or Wiggins. The Bucks seems to be trending toward Parker, but they needn’t pass on Wiggins just because Wiggins to Philadelphia is such a hot plan. This simple fact gets lost as mock drafts overwhelm this time of year, but Milwaukee has no obligation to help fulfill a narrative lower in the draft.
Exum at No. 2 is a longshot, though a possibility.
The Bucks could trade a second rounder, but they’re probably better off using all three on cheap talent – maybe even drafting and stashing – and rebuilding in earnest. That’s long overdue.
As long as they don’t draft Parker over Wiggins because Parker’s hometown of Chicago is closer to Milwaukee, they’re doing alright.
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 13
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 21
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 31
- Kevin Durant reiterates that rest was his reason for withdrawing from Team USA 9
- Kobe Bryant says he will not be same player as before, says he’s evolved into something equally good 24
- Report: Agent for Greg Monroe pursued sign-and-trade deals with five teams, including Thunder and Blazers 25
- Derrick Rose sits out another Team USA practice, not likely to start Wednesday 23
- DeMarcus Cousins practices with team USA Tuesday, says he’s 50-50 for Wednesday game 2