Jun 19, 2014, 10:44 PM EST
Needs: Considering the fact that the Lakers have just three players signed to guaranteed contracts for next season in Kobe Bryant, Steve Nash and Robert Sacre, there are glaring needs at virtually every position. They will take the best remaining talent available once it’s their turn on the clock, and whether it’s a guard, wing or big man, whoever it is should be someone who can be a solid, productive NBA player for many seasons to come.
Trade possibilities: The problem here for the Lakers is also their strength, which is that with only three players under contract, there’s nothing to offer along with their seventh pick in order to truly make some noise. It’s nice to have all that flexibility in case there are desirable options in free agency, but in terms of making a deal in advance of the draft, having no players to package with the pick would appear to be a substantial hinderance.
Besides, L.A. needs young talent as much as it needs superstars. A trade of any kind seems extremely unlikely, if not completely impossible.
Predictions: Before it was revealed that Joel Embiid would require foot surgery, it seemed as though the Lakers would be in line to grab either Julius Randle or Noah Vonleh with the seventh overall pick — either of whom would have been fine choices. But Embiid may fall now, though just how much remains to be seen.
The reality is that this is a very deep draft, and there will be plenty of surprises with how the top of the draft order plays out. The Lakers will have multiple players available who could fill a need from a talent standpoint, but just as it is with any team, choosing wisely will be crucial to the team’s rebuilding effort and its chances to begin to piece together a roster geared toward long-term success.
Potential No. 1 pick Joel Embiid suffers stress fracture
- Damian Lillard drops career high 43, leads Blazers to 3OT win over Spurs (VIDEO) 1
- Kendrick Perkins: Rajon Rondo wanted out of Boston 7
- Report: Minnesota agrees to trade Corey Brewer to Houston 6
- Dallas moves into title contender status with addition of Rajon Rondo 42
- Kevin Durant turns ankle, leaves game not to return; X-rays negative. 4
- Report: Celtics ‘pretty pleased’ with return they got in trade for Rajon Rondo 31
- PBT Extra: Jabari Parker’s injury, what does it mean for Bucks, Rookie of Year race? 5
- Reports: Celtics agree to trade Rajon Rondo to Dallas Mavericks 39