Jun 19, 2014, 10:44 PM EDT
Needs: Considering the fact that the Lakers have just three players signed to guaranteed contracts for next season in Kobe Bryant, Steve Nash and Robert Sacre, there are glaring needs at virtually every position. They will take the best remaining talent available once it’s their turn on the clock, and whether it’s a guard, wing or big man, whoever it is should be someone who can be a solid, productive NBA player for many seasons to come.
Trade possibilities: The problem here for the Lakers is also their strength, which is that with only three players under contract, there’s nothing to offer along with their seventh pick in order to truly make some noise. It’s nice to have all that flexibility in case there are desirable options in free agency, but in terms of making a deal in advance of the draft, having no players to package with the pick would appear to be a substantial hinderance.
Besides, L.A. needs young talent as much as it needs superstars. A trade of any kind seems extremely unlikely, if not completely impossible.
Predictions: Before it was revealed that Joel Embiid would require foot surgery, it seemed as though the Lakers would be in line to grab either Julius Randle or Noah Vonleh with the seventh overall pick — either of whom would have been fine choices. But Embiid may fall now, though just how much remains to be seen.
The reality is that this is a very deep draft, and there will be plenty of surprises with how the top of the draft order plays out. The Lakers will have multiple players available who could fill a need from a talent standpoint, but just as it is with any team, choosing wisely will be crucial to the team’s rebuilding effort and its chances to begin to piece together a roster geared toward long-term success.
Potential No. 1 pick Joel Embiid suffers stress fracture
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 3
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 19
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 30
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 4
- Report: Kyrie Irving likely not back opening night, could be out until January 14
- Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58 14
- After Rio Olympics next summer, who takes over at Team USA coach? 8
- Kobe, Shaq discuss regrets over feud that ended their Lakers era 49