Jun 18, 2014, 1:34 AM EST
Tony Parker talked during the Finals about not seemingly have had time off in four years — he plays for the Spurs from the fall through the spring, then for France every summer.
Not this summer, Parker is taking some time off. He thinks he’s earned a vacation.
The biggest star in France, who led his team to its first European championship last summer, is going to sit out the FIBA World Cup in Spain late this summer, according to the French Basketball Federation (FFBB) via Reuters.
“Tony Parker is not in the squad. (Coach) Vincent Collet and I want him to take some rest after many demanding campaigns with France and demanding seasons with his club,” the national technical director Patrick Beesley said in a statement.
Parker has gone to back-to-back NBA Finals with the Spurs (he played 91 games this year, regular season and playoffs) and, as mentioned, has played for France during his summers off.
This will make Gregg Popovich happy. He’s big on the whole rest thing.
Manu Ginobili has yet to decide if he will play for Argentina in the tournament. Kawhi Leonard has been invited to try out for Team USA, and his game certainly would fit the squad, but that is a deep pool of talent and it is possible he does not make it. Boris Diaw could play for the French team.
- George Karl: Knicks could use a strong point guard next to Carmelo Anthony 7
- Ray Allen announces he will not play this season 13
- Pelicans’ Anthony Davis a gametime decision Wednesday vs. Pistons 1
- Derek Fisher questions ‘character and integrity’ of players after Knicks lose to Kings by 38 points 29
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Tuesday: The Hawks clinched playoff spot in front of Josh Smith 6
- Nuggets need to decide direction, then hire coach 18
- Report: Russell Westbrook ‘likely’ to return to Thunder lineup Wednesday, will wear protective mask 13
- Nuggets have fired head coach Brian Shaw 30