Jun 18, 2014, 1:34 AM EDT
Tony Parker talked during the Finals about not seemingly have had time off in four years — he plays for the Spurs from the fall through the spring, then for France every summer.
Not this summer, Parker is taking some time off. He thinks he’s earned a vacation.
The biggest star in France, who led his team to its first European championship last summer, is going to sit out the FIBA World Cup in Spain late this summer, according to the French Basketball Federation (FFBB) via Reuters.
“Tony Parker is not in the squad. (Coach) Vincent Collet and I want him to take some rest after many demanding campaigns with France and demanding seasons with his club,” the national technical director Patrick Beesley said in a statement.
Parker has gone to back-to-back NBA Finals with the Spurs (he played 91 games this year, regular season and playoffs) and, as mentioned, has played for France during his summers off.
This will make Gregg Popovich happy. He’s big on the whole rest thing.
Manu Ginobili has yet to decide if he will play for Argentina in the tournament. Kawhi Leonard has been invited to try out for Team USA, and his game certainly would fit the squad, but that is a deep pool of talent and it is possible he does not make it. Boris Diaw could play for the French team.
- Portland comes from 10 down in fourth quarter to win 99-92, stay alive in series 0
- Bucks stay alive behind big backcourt performance to force Game 6 vs. Bulls 10
- Incredible 35-point performance from Deron Williams leads Nets to overtime Game 4 win over Hawks 9
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Wizard’s defense peaking at right time 2
- Report: Chandler Parsons to have knee surgery, could require microfracture surgery 6
- Cavaliers’ J.R. Smith gets two-game suspension for shot to Jae Crowder’s head 38
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Draymond Green helped hold Anthony Davis in relative check 6
- Cavaliers’ Kevin Love out for entire conference semifinals (likely vs. Bulls) 15