Jun 18, 2014, 1:34 AM EDT
Tony Parker talked during the Finals about not seemingly have had time off in four years — he plays for the Spurs from the fall through the spring, then for France every summer.
Not this summer, Parker is taking some time off. He thinks he’s earned a vacation.
The biggest star in France, who led his team to its first European championship last summer, is going to sit out the FIBA World Cup in Spain late this summer, according to the French Basketball Federation (FFBB) via Reuters.
“Tony Parker is not in the squad. (Coach) Vincent Collet and I want him to take some rest after many demanding campaigns with France and demanding seasons with his club,” the national technical director Patrick Beesley said in a statement.
Parker has gone to back-to-back NBA Finals with the Spurs (he played 91 games this year, regular season and playoffs) and, as mentioned, has played for France during his summers off.
This will make Gregg Popovich happy. He’s big on the whole rest thing.
Manu Ginobili has yet to decide if he will play for Argentina in the tournament. Kawhi Leonard has been invited to try out for Team USA, and his game certainly would fit the squad, but that is a deep pool of talent and it is possible he does not make it. Boris Diaw could play for the French team.
- Timberwolves owner: Kevin Love might regret trade because he’ll be third banana with Cavaliers 37
- Anthony Davis and Kenneth Faried lead Team USA in final World Cup tune-up 16
- Thunder trade Hasheem Thabeet to 76ers 33
- From late-arriving to a LeBron James favorite, Kevin Love comes full circle 14
- Clippers trade Jared Dudley and first rounder to Bucks for Carlos Delfino and Miroslav Raduljica 22
- Report: Cavaliers trying to trade for Nuggets’ Timofey Mozgov 25
- Cavaliers, with LeBron James and Kevin Love, favored by oddsmakers to win 2015 NBA title 29
- Scout says Carmelo Anthony can be good triangle fit — if he moves the ball 20