Jun 18, 2014, 1:34 AM EDT
Tony Parker talked during the Finals about not seemingly have had time off in four years — he plays for the Spurs from the fall through the spring, then for France every summer.
Not this summer, Parker is taking some time off. He thinks he’s earned a vacation.
The biggest star in France, who led his team to its first European championship last summer, is going to sit out the FIBA World Cup in Spain late this summer, according to the French Basketball Federation (FFBB) via Reuters.
“Tony Parker is not in the squad. (Coach) Vincent Collet and I want him to take some rest after many demanding campaigns with France and demanding seasons with his club,” the national technical director Patrick Beesley said in a statement.
Parker has gone to back-to-back NBA Finals with the Spurs (he played 91 games this year, regular season and playoffs) and, as mentioned, has played for France during his summers off.
This will make Gregg Popovich happy. He’s big on the whole rest thing.
Manu Ginobili has yet to decide if he will play for Argentina in the tournament. Kawhi Leonard has been invited to try out for Team USA, and his game certainly would fit the squad, but that is a deep pool of talent and it is possible he does not make it. Boris Diaw could play for the French team.
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 25
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 2
- Report: Kyrie Irving likely not back opening night, could be out until January 14
- Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58 14
- After Rio Olympics next summer, who takes over at Team USA coach? 7
- Kobe, Shaq discuss regrets over feud that ended their Lakers era 48
- NBA fines Clippers for attempting to circumvent salary cap with DeAndre Jordan 10
- The most overlooked – and maybe most significant – reason Carmelo Anthony won’t waive his no-trade clause this season 18