Should Cavaliers trade No. 1 pick to Sixers for No. 3 pick, Thaddeus Young?

Jun 18, 2014, 1:59 PM EDT

2014 NBA Draft Lottery Getty Images

Teams with the No. 1 pick in the NBA Draft just don’t trade it. With good reason. Those picks tend to be too valuable in a league where you need franchise changing guys and All-Stars to win, you can’t pass up the potential to draft one.

However this year the rumors are out there.

Chad Ford of ESPN started it (he starts a lot of rumors) and others have reported there have been at least some talks about the Sixers packaging the No. 3 pick and Thaddeus Young for the No. 1 pick — the Sixers want to make sure they get Andrew Wiggins that badly. How far down that road talks have gone is up for debate, but it has been discussed.

The Cavaliers have a lot of options, but should they really trade the No. 1 pick? Should the Sixers do it when a lot of mock drafts have Wiggins falling to them at No. 3 anyway?

For the Cavaliers, the answer to the above question is tied to the answer of another question: Do you think Joel Embiid or Andrew Wiggins can be a transcendent player?

If the Cavaliers believe that Embiid — the Kansas center said by many to be on top of the Cavs draft board — is a future top 10 NBA player who, along with Kyrie Irving, can be the foundation of a team that wins championships, then you keep the pick and take him. Talent wins in the NBA and you need those top 10 guys to get a title. You don’t trade them unless your hand is forced (see Minnesota with Kevin Love). The same is true if the Cavaliers grade Wiggins (or Jabari Parker) out that way.

However, if the Cavaliers believe that those three guys are close together and will all be good but not top 10 players, then I’d make the move because if you want to make the playoffs next season, Young is a good guy to have on your roster. The Cavs would still have the No. 3 pick and get a quality player.

The Sixers are clearly very high on Wiggins, which makes sense because putting the freak athlete on a team that wants to play ultra fast is a good marriage of player and system. But should they give up Young just to make sure they get Wiggins? Again, are they that sold he can be transcendent?

Dei Lynam of CSNPhilly.com doesn’t think the trade is the best move for the Sixers and GM Sam Hinkie.

…to me that the talent between the three players is marginally equal, and to give up another asset to pick at No. 1 is overpaying for the selection….

For my money, it’s entirely possible that Wiggins slips to No. 3 overall, where the Sixers will make their first selection of the 2014 draft — barring a trade to move up or down.

I would much rather see the Sixers keep the third pick and then package their 10th pick, along with one of their five second-round selections, to move up to eighth and take the shooter they like best in this draft. Imagine if the Sixers’ starting five looked like this next fall: Michael Carter-Williams at point guard, Michigan’s Nik Stauskas — who shot 44 percent from three-point range last year — at two-guard, Wiggins at small forward, Thaddeus Young as a hybrid four and Nerlens Noel protecting the rim.

That would be a fun young core, certainly a group that would struggle at times but be entertaining to watch. There would be hope in Philly.

In a lot of current mocks, Wiggins does slip to three. However, if Hinkie and the Sixers believe Wiggins is going to be a transcendent star, then giving up assets to get him is the right play. It just depends on how you grade him out.

In the end, I just can’t see the Cavaliers moving the pick, this time they seem assured to get somebody who can help them in that slot. You just don’t trade No. 1 picks in the NBA.

1. thesixersbench - Jun 18, 2014 at 3:01 PM

Of all the teams that should “be happy” about given the leftovers of the suggested Top 3….Cleveland is at the top of the list. If the price is right…take the deal and remove the pressure of making the right decision.

• thesixersbench - Jun 18, 2014 at 3:04 PM

And for what it’s worth…I totally agree with Dei Lynam.

2. loungefly74 - Jun 18, 2014 at 3:07 PM

no…throw in more…next year’s 1st rd pick…and the 10th spot this year! hardball! LOL.

3. captainwisdom8888 - Jun 18, 2014 at 4:13 PM

This trade isn’t gonna happen. Thad took his game to a whole new level last year on both ends of the floor, and that escalation of ability extended beyond the arc as well. He was asked to carry a much bigger piece of the scoring load and he did quite well with it…becoming the Sixers’ most reliable player. Ideally Thad is a 3rd scoring option at best, and when you start asking him to be more than that it’s just confirmation that you’re in some pretty dire straights as a team.

4. 00maltliquor - Jun 18, 2014 at 5:31 PM

Hell no.

But I hope they do it! Lol

• wowwowbad - Jun 20, 2014 at 2:03 AM

Young is not a natural PF, he’s undersized, and his defense is at best questionable. They need another high-profile defensive guy and if for Wiggins, give up Young is daxx worthy!

5. 00maltliquor - Jun 18, 2014 at 5:33 PM

Unless they are completely sold on Parker and don’t think much of Wiggins or Embiid then this would be
    ruh-taadid!

6. campcouch - Jun 18, 2014 at 9:34 PM

Who conjures up this tale every two days? Either Cleveland tipped somewhere that they want Wiggins or Philly is BSing and actually want Embiid while fearing the Cavs will take him. Unless it’s 3 and 10,I doubt Cleveland considers it. If Thaddeus Young is so awesome,why not keep him…well he’ll probably demand a trade anyways since you shopped him.

• sumkat - Jun 19, 2014 at 12:10 AM

Thad Young isn’t the type of guy that is going to flat out demand a trade. But he has made it be known, especially after last years fire sale, that he would not be opposed to the idea. I can’t blame him, he’s put in 7 years, done whatever has been asked of him the entire time, and the team is further back than it was when he got here.

I wouldn’t give him away. He’s not an all-star, but he’s a very solid player. if he was on a team with scorers, he would put up 15/8 a night, without having any plays called for him. In a regular draft, I think he’s worth a pick in the teens. In this draft, which picks seem to have a higher value, I’d say low 20’s. I don’t think Cleveland has any interest, like I said, they are basically in the same spot as Philly with no cap space. But for a team that is already set (OKC, SA, Mia, ect) with their main scorers, Young could be a big time difference maker

• sasquash20 - Jun 19, 2014 at 11:30 AM

Low 20s if Thad were in this draft? Top 15 lock.

• sumkat - Jun 19, 2014 at 11:35 AM

No, Low 20’s is the pick I would expect back from him in this draft. If the were trading him in a less hyped draft, I would say teens

7. onbucky96 - Jun 19, 2014 at 1:46 AM

Philly fans, let me help you. There is no way, no chance, zero probability, that Wiggins isn’t taken by the Bucks at 2 if he’s there.

8. wlouden77 - Jun 19, 2014 at 8:35 AM

Cleveland actually will b good for cap space. Deng and Hawes are both free agents and make around 20 mil combined. Cj Miles is also a free agent at 2-3 mil. throw in Gee who has a 3 million non guaranteed deal and the is like 25 million in savings. we could generate more cash if we cut Varejao..

If a good deal comes around, like the 3 and Thad, I would do it myself. who knows what the Cavs will do tho

9. pascalswager42 - Jun 19, 2014 at 10:00 AM

Thad isnt a good enough vet piece to move off of #1. In fact, no one is offering or likely will offer the type of vet player (consensus all-star) that would pry this pick away.

Maybe 3 & 10 get it done, plus a throw in.

Otherwise, take Embiid or Wiggins and call it a day. I prefer a healthy-backed Embiid.

10. willkill4caffeine - Jun 19, 2014 at 12:18 PM

As a 76ers fan, my fear was always that if the Sixers stayed put at 3, the Bucks would swipe up Wiggins in a heartbeat if he fell to them at 2, forcing the 76ers hand to attempt to move up to 1 to ensure the pick. But the more I think about it (Disclaimer: this could just be me trying to convince myself), the more I think the Bucks have a real chance of selecting Parker over Wiggins at 2. My thinking for this is as follows; GM John Hammond is basically riding on a one-year “show me or get out” situation under the new owners. He needs this season to go as close to perfect as possible to ensure his long-term future in Milwaukee. And while Wiggins may have the highest ceiling in the draft, Parker is the most NBA-ready player now. I believe (more like ‘hope’) that Hammond chooses immediate dividends over future potential and selects Parker over Wiggins, leaving my 76ers to collect. Fingers are crossed.

Will LeBron get booed Christmas Day in Miami?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches