Jun 18, 2014, 6:45 PM EDT
If the Lakers had lucked out in the lottery and gotten in the top three the reports are they would have shopped the pick hard looking for a veteran. Much like the still-without-a-coach Lakers are looking for a veteran in the big chair, they would prefer veterans in the rotation next to Kobe Bryant.
But they aren’t getting much of a veteran moving the No. 7 pick. There was talk that they might trade down for multiple picks, but teams looking to trade down aren’t getting much traction.
So the Lakers are keeping the pick, reports Dave McMenamin of ESPNLosAngeles.com.
Whether the Lakers end up picking (Marcus) Smart, (Julius) Randle, or somebody else, the team is leaning towards keeping their No. 7 pick rather than trading down in order to acquire multiple picks, according to a source with knowledge of their thinking.
While it’s widely believed that there is a gap in the talent available after Kansas’ Joel Embiid and Andrew Wiggins and Duke’s Jabari Parker go off the board, the Lakers feel there is another gap between the player they have rated 10th versus who they have at 11th and below, so it’s not like they could flip their pick for say Phoenix’s No. 14 and No. 18 picks and still come out in with a player they are totally sold on.
Interesting note about the second drop in talent. There is probably a couple good sleepers farther down the way but those come with risks, the Lakers can get more of a sure thing at seven.
Marcus Smart is not likely to be there when the Lakers pick, I have heard from sources that Orlando likes him at No. 4. Even if that is a smoke screen and the Magic end up taking Dante Exum or someone else it’s not likely Smart falls to seven, a number of teams have been high on him out of workouts.
Randle could be there, as could guys such as Doug McDermott, Nik Stauskas and Aaron Gordon. Randle would be a good addition to the Lakers front line, able to come in and score (and rebound) right away at the NBA level. There are concerns about his defense and his ability to shoot from the outside, but he should at the least be a solid rotation player.
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 4
- Kevin Durant knows you’re talking about his free agency but isn’t giving many clues. He liked what LeBron did. 16
- Byron Scott makes ridiculous optimism sound reasonable 40
- Derrick Rose told Carmelo Anthony that if he came to Chicago “the game would be easy” 40
- LeBron James strips on stage, throws clothes into crowd (video) 23
- Is DeMarcus Cousins the big man Team USA can lean on? 19
- Lakers make it official — finally — and hire Byron Scott as head coach 13
- Derrick Rose: “I’ve become a smarter player, but I’m mad it took me seven years to learn it.” 29