Jun 18, 2014, 10:05 AM EDT
For now, they’re slow-playing.
If they’re doing it to give themselves time to impress Love, it won’t work.
If they’re doing it to leverage better offers, that might be working.
Not long ago, a report emerged the Bulls had made a better Love offer than the Celtics. Since, the Rockets have fallen out of the bidding and Boston has reportedly moved up the ladder.
I continue to get strong signals that the Celtics are trying hard to use pick No. 6 and 17 along with future No. 1s and young players such as Jared Sullinger or Kelly Olynyk to persuade the Minnesota Timberwolves to trade them Kevin Love. One source close to the Wolves said that while Flip Saunders does not want to trade Love, he realizes the team likely will lose him this summer and the package the Celtics are offering is probably the best he’s going to get.
It’s not clear whether Boston upgraded its offer to pass Chicago or whether Ford has different sources than Jackie MacMullan, who reported the Bulls had – at that point – a better offer than the Celtics. It’s possible the Timberwolves aren’t all on the same page. Saunders, though he is both team president and head coach, probably lacks sole authority to trade Love. Timberwolves owner Glen Taylor has been vocal about the situation.
In the end, all perspectives might align with Love headed (back) to Boston.
As I wrote before, the Celtics are loaded with draft picks to offer in a trade. Unless another team ridiculously overcompensates Minnesota, Boston has the assets to land Love. It’s just a matter of how much they’re willing to part with to land him.
Sound like the answer might be “enough.”
- Can Thunder, without Kevin Durant and Russell Westbrook, overcome their first identity crisis? 10
- Jazz guard Alec Burks signs contract extension worth $42 million-$45 million 9
- Thursday night NBA Winners/Losers: The injury gods show Thunder no mercy 10
- No Durant, Westbrook goes down, Thunder still make it interesting but fall to Clippers 2
- Thunder’s Russell Westbrook fractures hand, likely out 4-6 weeks 9
- LeBron struggles in Cleveland debut as Knicks stun Cavaliers 46
- LeBron, Cavaliers introduced on opening night in Cleveland (VIDEO) 5
- Dominant Pau Gasol shows he may be a perfect fit for Bulls 19