Kevin Durant on besmirching Kawhi Leonard: ‘I apologize(I really don’t)’

Jun 18, 2014, 11:06 AM EDT

Kawhi Leonard, Kevin Durant Kawhi Leonard, Kevin Durant

Kevin Durant just invites controversy on the internet.

The Thunder star had online run-ins with The Game and Lil B – and rappers don’t seem to be the main problem. It might just be Durant.

After Kawhi Leonard won NBA Finals MVP, Durant tweeted (since deleted, but captured in screen shot) about Leonard in relation to Paul George:

Plenty of people – many Spurs fans, I’m sure – rejected Durant’s characterization. So, he addressed the complaints on Facebook:

This the last time I’m gonna talk about this. I did not hate on Kawhi Leonard , quite honestly If you knew me or been around me, you would see how excited I was for such a young humble guy. But this world loves conflict I see. I really gave major props to coach pop and the whole staff for putting those guys in great positions to be successful. I’ve realized u can’t say anything about a champion so if I hurt anybody’s feelings I apologize(I really don’t) but u get my drift

There’s no need for Durant to apologize, and I’m glad he did didn’t. He’s entitled to believe one player is better than another.

I compared Leonard and George a couple times during The Finals. Their similarities are interesting.

Durant could have just claimed he was rejecting the “all day” aspect of the Leonard-over-George argument. To claim one is definitely more valuable than the other is fairly ridiculous.

Instead, we get “I apologize(I really don’t)” – which is an even better response.

Latest Posts
  1. Report: Magic plan to give GM Rob Hennigan a contract extension

Mar 30, 2015, 12:01 AM EDT

Orlando Magic fire head coach Jacque Vaughn Orlando Magic fire head coach Jacque Vaughn

Hennigan has done a solid job with the rebuild in his first three seasons.

2. DeAndre Jordan with a ridiculous alley-oop finish, even for him (VIDEO)

Mar 29, 2015, 10:30 PM EDT

DeAndre Jordan, Evan Turner DeAndre Jordan, Evan Turner

The Clippers beat the Celtics and had the best highlight of the game.

3. Enes Kanter soaks up Jazz fans’ boos, but Thunder lose

Mar 29, 2015, 9:30 AM EDT

Oklahoma City Thunder v Utah Jazz Oklahoma City Thunder v Utah Jazz

Kanter found a way to motivate the Jazz in the dog days of the season, and the Thunder lost in part because of it.

4. Kendrick Perkins says you’re blowing the LeBron James/Kevin Love thing way out of proportion

Mar 29, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT

Cleveland Cavaliers v Atlanta Hawks Getty Images

“You don’t have to be best friends to come out here and work together.”

5. Golden State picks up 60th win, clinches top seed in the West

Mar 29, 2015, 12:26 AM EDT

Steve Kerr, Stephen Curry AP

The Golden State Warriors are the team to beat out West.

6. NBA, Pacers issue statement in response to Indiana’s Religious Freedom Restoration Act law

Mar 28, 2015, 6:30 PM EDT

Adam Silver AP

Legislation was signed into law in Indiana last week, and has been criticized as one that could legalize discrimination.

7. Hawks to rest all five starters Saturday after clinching East’s top seed

Mar 28, 2015, 5:00 PM EDT

Atlanta Hawks Media Day Getty Images

Hornets, still fighting for a playoff spot, catch a break.

8. Stan Van Gundy: ‘Absolutely no chance’ Magic induct him into team Hall of Fame

Mar 28, 2015, 3:30 PM EDT

Stan Van Gundy Stan Van Gundy

Van Gundy coached five seasons in Orlando, but was fired after the way the Dwight Howard debacle played out.

Where does Steve Nash rank all-time?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches