Jun 18, 2014, 11:41 AM EST
Kevin Durant is going to come back a better player next season.
The NBA’s MVP works hard in the off-season to add parts to his game, for example his handles improved, he picked up Dirk Nowitzki’s one-legged fade-away and more. When asked at his exit interview what he would do this year, Durant was vague saying he wanted to improve his overall game.
Kendrick Perkins had a specific idea for KD — add some muscle. Hit the weight room and get stronger. To help his defense, to help his low post game, to help get through the grind of the long season. Perkins explained his logic to Darnell Mayberry at the Oklahoman.
“I feel like he could get stronger, in my opinion,” Perkins said. “I think that would help him a lot. I told him all the good and great players that played the game, from Jordan, Kobe, LeBron, they all put size on them, and it helped them….
“Seems like there was possessions he was tired,” Perkins said of Durant. “But, like I said, I think that’s (when) getting in the weight room plays a factor. Cause then you could let your body take over.”
Would adding muscle help his post game? There is no part of Durant’s offensive game that is weak and that includes the post — he got 9.1 percent of his used possessions there and shot 47 percent, scoring 1.03 points per possession, and he didn’t turn the ball over much (stats via Synergy Sports). He was good on the block. Maybe he could be a little better if he were stronger and could overpower people a little more, but Durant is not at the point in his career where he needs to go to the post much yet. He is still incredibly dangerous on the wing.
But the idea that adding some muscle would help him through the grind of a season where every defense is targeting him makes some sense. Durant has added 25 pounds since he came into the league, according to Mayberry, but there is certainly room to add more.
Just something to watch this summer. Whatever he does, when Durant comes back next season you can be sure his game will have improved.
- Report: Timberwolves’ Ricky Rubio set to return Monday vs. Dallas 6
- Nike unveils latest signature shoe for Kobe Bryant, the Kobe X (PHOTOS) 11
- Report: Nuggets trying to trade for Brook Lopez 12
- Last summer Carmelo Anthony, Kobe Bryant talked, decided it wouldn’t work together 32
- Jimmy Butler even plans to play defense in the All-Star Game 9
- Damian Lillard “disappointed,” “disrespected” not to make All-Star team 45
- DeMarcus Cousins replaces Kobe Bryant in All-Star game 11
- Tyson Chandler, better than ever, thinking legacy 10