Jun 18, 2014, 11:41 AM EDT
Kevin Durant is going to come back a better player next season.
The NBA’s MVP works hard in the off-season to add parts to his game, for example his handles improved, he picked up Dirk Nowitzki’s one-legged fade-away and more. When asked at his exit interview what he would do this year, Durant was vague saying he wanted to improve his overall game.
Kendrick Perkins had a specific idea for KD — add some muscle. Hit the weight room and get stronger. To help his defense, to help his low post game, to help get through the grind of the long season. Perkins explained his logic to Darnell Mayberry at the Oklahoman.
“I feel like he could get stronger, in my opinion,” Perkins said. “I think that would help him a lot. I told him all the good and great players that played the game, from Jordan, Kobe, LeBron, they all put size on them, and it helped them….
“Seems like there was possessions he was tired,” Perkins said of Durant. “But, like I said, I think that’s (when) getting in the weight room plays a factor. Cause then you could let your body take over.”
Would adding muscle help his post game? There is no part of Durant’s offensive game that is weak and that includes the post — he got 9.1 percent of his used possessions there and shot 47 percent, scoring 1.03 points per possession, and he didn’t turn the ball over much (stats via Synergy Sports). He was good on the block. Maybe he could be a little better if he were stronger and could overpower people a little more, but Durant is not at the point in his career where he needs to go to the post much yet. He is still incredibly dangerous on the wing.
But the idea that adding some muscle would help him through the grind of a season where every defense is targeting him makes some sense. Durant has added 25 pounds since he came into the league, according to Mayberry, but there is certainly room to add more.
Just something to watch this summer. Whatever he does, when Durant comes back next season you can be sure his game will have improved.
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 17
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 25
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 32
- Kevin Durant reiterates that rest was his reason for withdrawing from Team USA 9
- Kobe Bryant says he will not be same player as before, says he’s evolved into something equally good 25
- Report: Agent for Greg Monroe pursued sign-and-trade deals with five teams, including Thunder and Blazers 25
- Derrick Rose sits out another Team USA practice, not likely to start Wednesday 23
- DeMarcus Cousins practices with team USA Tuesday, says he’s 50-50 for Wednesday game 2