Jun 18, 2014, 9:25 AM EDT
LeBron James might never hit free agency – he won’t talk about his plan other than to say he’ll discuss it with Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh – but he still has suitors readying themselves.
And that doesn’t even include the rational teams.
Yes, they’re interested in LeBron too, even if they don’t telegraph it in such obvious ways.
Bill Simmons of Grantland:
Simmons most often analyzes news reported by others, but occasionally, he breaks news. It’s not exactly clear which he’s doing here.
Does he have specific information about the Clippers’ and Rockets’ plans? Simmons has connections in both organizations, so that’s definitely possible.
Or is he just speculating based on available information, including LeBron’s friendship with Chris Paul and fondness for Los Angeles and Daryl Morey’s unrepentant pursuit of roster upgrades over continuity. Every team in at least a somewhat desirable market should be plotting how to land LeBron if given an opportunity.
If you’re looking for a clue to Simmons’ knowledge of the Rockets’ and Clippers’ intentions, his Clippers plan doesn’t even come close to working.
If they trade DeAndre Jordan, Jamal Crawford, Jared Dudley and their first-round pick without any salary returning, the Clippers would have just $6,566,562 in space below the projected salary cap. Considering, LeBron’s max starting salary is projected to be $20,659,633, that wouldn’t come close to cutting it.
Simmons doesn’t specify what Darren Collison, Glen Davis and Danny Granger – who each have player options – will do, but even if they all opt out, the Clippers would have just $9,574,848 in cap space. Again, that won’t get LeBron.
Heck, even if they trim their roster to only Chris Paul and Blake Griffin, the Clippers couldn’t offer LeBron his max contract.
I bet the Clippers and Rockets want LeBron and would chase him if he terminates his contract. But getting him to leave the Heat will be a huge challenge.
The Dan Patrick Show: Heat could look drastically different next season
- Kevin Durant has grown close with Karl Malone 13
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Philadelphia 76ers 3
- Steve Kerr said Danny Ferry made mistake but is a “man of high character” 23
- LeBron James on Kyrie Irving: “I believe Kyrie can be the best point guard in the league.” 20
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Boston Celtics 4
- Dwight Howard’s driver’s license in Florida suspended, he racked up 10 red light violations in Orlando 17
- Tim Duncan to appear in “The Punisher” comic book 6
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New York Knicks 13