Jun 17, 2014, 11:03 AM EDT
And the 76ers apparently want him.
Just how far would they go to land Wiggins?
According to sources, the Sixers are trying to do whatever they can to draft him. And there’s a sense that he wants to become a Sixer.
If this is a smokescreen, it’s an elaborate one – and unlikely to help.
The most likely way is the 76ers actually covet Joel Embiid and/or Jabari Parker and are trying to convince the Cavaliers and/or Bucks to draft Wiggins so Philadelphia’s real top choice falls to No. 3. But would the Cavaliers or Bucks really alter their draft boards because the 76ers faux interest tricks them? Most likely, Cleveland and Milwaukee will make its own evaluations.
Maybe Philadelphia actually wants Dante Exum and is trying to prevent another team from trading up to draft the Australian No. 1 or No. 2. But Exum falls outside the consensus top three (Embiid, Wiggins, Parker), and that scenario requires three unlikelihoods: the 76ers wanting Exum more than a consensus top three player, another team wanting Exum more than a consensus top three player, the Cavaliers or Bucks trading down rather than drafting a consensus top three player. Those are too many stretches.
It’s becoming increasingly likely the 76ers just like Wiggins. If that’s the case, they can hope the Cavaliers and Bucks prefer Embiid and Parker, but Philadelphia better keep trying to trade up.
- Andray Blatche signs deal to play in China next season 1
- UPDATED Report: Timberwolves make push for Eric Bledsoe, Suns not interested in sign-and-trade talks 36
- LeBron James unveils latest signature shoe from Nike: The LEBRON 12 12
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Toronto Raptors 10
- Dwyane Wade credits David Stern’s dress code for improving his style 18
- Kevin Durant has grown close with Karl Malone 15
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Philadelphia 76ers 5
- Steve Kerr said Danny Ferry made mistake but is a “man of high character” 38