Jun 17, 2014, 6:28 PM EDT
If you expect them to make a decision before then, well, you probably expected “Dirty Dancing: Havana Nights” was going to be a good sequel to the original. (And the original wasn’t great, just don’t tell your wife/girlfriend that.) The big three are going to talk to their agents, talk to their families, they will watch trades unfold around the draft, they will talk to each other, and finally they will talk to Pat Riley. Then they will make a call.
At his exit interview on Tuesday, LeBron refused to talk about the future. Here are the highlights as tweeted by Ira Winderman and Shandel Richardson of the Sun Sentinel.
Obviously LeBron has thought about this, it’s just that over the years, he has gotten good at dodging questions he doesn’t want to answer.
Chris Bosh sounded much more like he doesn’t want to go anywhere and the idea that the trio would break up is news to him. But that they have some things financially to talk about.
Dwyane Wade did not speak to the media Tuesday.
Heat management has known for years that eventually they have to rework the roster, that just bringing in veteran minimum guys would not be enough at some point. The Spurs emphatically showed that time is now.
For LeBron, a guy in the legacy-building part of his career, the question is who does he trust to build a contender around him? Better yet, does he trust anyone more than Pat Riley? Probably not. Plus if he bolts Miami — no matter how he handles it — he will take some of the public relations hits he took after leaving Cleveland and “The Decision” all over again.
It’s hard to imagine him leaving if he feels Miami is committed to winning — he just doesn’t want to give back money so Mickey Arison saves tax money.
But we will see. LeBron may look at this situation and draw a different conclusion. Whatever he decides, don’t expect to know until the 29th or close to it.
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 0
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 7
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 8
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 39
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 14
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 48
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 31