Dirk Nowitzki on Carmelo Anthony: ‘We’d love to have him’

Jun 17, 2014, 9:31 AM EDT

Dallas Mavericks v Denver Nuggets Dallas Mavericks v Denver Nuggets

The Carmelo Anthony free agent winds are blowing toward Chicago and Houston, but the Mavericks always believed they had a shot at the Knicks star.

Unlike the Bulls and Rockets, Dallas can offer Melo a full max contract outright. Of course, the Mavericks will save some of that space for Dirk Nowitzki, but it sounds as if re-signing him will go smoothly.

How much will Nowitzki get? That’s one of the biggest questions about Dallas’ pursuit of Melo. It will depend on what Nowitzki desires, including how much he wants to play with Melo.

Nowitzki on 105.3 The Fan:

“If Carmelo would really love to come here,” Dirk says, “we’d love to have him.”

“Listen, I think I’ve showed over my 16 years that I can play with anybody,” the UberMan says. “The only tough season I think we’ve had is when we had (Antawn) Jamison and Antoine Walker and myself who are all three kind of the same 4-men, but other than that I think I’ve shown over my career that I can play with anybody. I’ll adjust, whether I have to get out of the way or go to the corner more, post up, pass — I’ll do whatever, really, that needs to be done out there to win or for this franchise to be a winner.”

Obligatory note that Melo is still technically under contract with the Knicks, and by the letter of the law, this is definitely tampering. However, the NBA has clearly decided to look the other way on players tampering – which means Nowitzki isn’t doing enough.

He should speak to Melo directly, just as Joakim Noah has done and Chandler Parsons did with Dwight Howard. For some reason, the league has essentially granted Nowitzki authority to act as an agent for the Mavericks before free agency begins. Dallas should have him take advantage and gain information about how to best pitch Melo.

There are a lot of moving parts here. Is Melo insistent on a full max contract? Should the Mavericks decline the team option on Jae Crowder? Should they waive Samuel Dalembert – or better yet, trade him while they still can?

Melo can help answer those questions, and Nowitzki can apparently ask them on behalf of management, which can’t speak to Anthony until July 1.

Expressing fondness for Melo on the radio might help, but I bet Nowitzki would accomplish much more by picking up the phone and calling Melo.

Could ‘Melo rejuvenate the Heat?

1. chicagosports2014 - Jun 17, 2014 at 9:43 AM

I think Mark Cuban messed up yall changes already Durk

• chicagosports2014 - Jun 17, 2014 at 9:46 AM

*chances🚨

• sprest83 - Jun 17, 2014 at 9:53 AM

I disagree. The Mavs are in decent shape at the moment. They gave the Spurs the only threat of the post season and with many holes on the team. Alot of those holes will be filled this free agency.

• sprest83 - Jun 17, 2014 at 9:48 AM

Huh? Engrish, can you speak it?

• chicagosports2014 - Jun 17, 2014 at 10:14 AM

Don’t get mad because you have a arrogant owner has that skeleton in his closet

• chicagosports2014 - Jun 17, 2014 at 10:20 AM

*English. lol android has mind of its own

2. campcouch - Jun 17, 2014 at 10:07 AM

Is it really tampering if someone asks you if you’d like to play with another player?

• chicagosports2014 - Jun 17, 2014 at 10:18 AM

I think he still a knick until the end of June. So yeah i think it’s tampering but who has documents, so I doubt it

3. smackingfools - Jun 17, 2014 at 10:16 AM

Dallas is the only team that even has a chance to beat the Spurs in 7. But, I really don’t think Carmelo will help with that. He’s a loser.

• jimeejohnson - Jun 17, 2014 at 10:50 AM

Not just any loser but a New Yawk loser; that’s the biggest kind of loser in the whole world.

4. ajw21 - Jun 17, 2014 at 10:38 AM

Spurs fan here so not a big Cuban fan but every owner has skeletons in their closest. These are billionaires, they are different then us and have more money then they can spend.
    I was talking to my cousin after Cuban made his comments about slippery slop and he said, you know Cuban likes weird stuff(pg version).
    If you dig enough, every owner is gonna have something they don’t want the public to know.

5. loungefly74 - Jun 17, 2014 at 10:39 AM

Dallas definitely has a shot (albeit a long one) to nab Melo…they are one of the few teams to contend (even win a title). Dirk is just saying what he should be saying…

6. sportsfan18 - Jun 17, 2014 at 10:55 AM

Dirk, you’re a great player, a champ… Melo is a cancer and will never win a title… due to this he should ONLY go to the Lakers, the Heat or remain with the Knicks…

7. kwame410 - Jun 17, 2014 at 1:04 PM

what dallas needs id defense a center like joakim noah would make them title contenders.

8. kwame410 - Jun 17, 2014 at 1:05 PM

what dallas needs is defense a center like joakim noah would make them title contenders.

Heat can make playoffs without LeBron
Top 10 NBA Player Searches