Derrick Rose could play if season began now

Jun 17, 2014, 10:19 AM EDT

Derrick Rose Derrick Rose

Derrick Rose got off crutches, practiced with the Bulls and biked around Washington, D.C.

Now, he’s capable of doing something he’s done just 10 times in the last 780 days.

K.C. Johnson of the Chicago Tribune:

Rose has had no setbacks and, if the season started tomorrow, would be fine to play.

Rose will have a few months to prepare for the season, but if he’s already ready, that bodes well. With two first-round picks, the flexibility to pursue Carmelo Anthony and Kevin Love and Rose getting healthy, the Bulls could improve greatly this offseason.

Of all Chicago’s possible changes, Rose might be the biggest wildcard. It’s just been so long since he’s played at an elite level.

If he’s truly ready to roll, Rose won’t need to wait until training camp to really test his knee. He’s a strong candidate to represent the United State in the FIBA World Cup this summer.

Heck, if he’s as healthy as Johnson says, Rose is essentially a lock to make the team.

1. loubearkane - Jun 17, 2014 at 10:23 AM

This will be huge for Rose if he plays with Team USA this Summer to regain if anything his confidence.

• bealwithit - Jun 17, 2014 at 12:42 PM

That would be great, but Team USA isn’t about gaining confidence. It is about putting the most competitive team possible for our country to win.

After all the time Rose missed, other young guards who have worked their way up during his absence like John Wall should be considered.

• loubearkane - Jun 17, 2014 at 1:57 PM

Jerry Colangelo has already said he’s invited if healthy even to play

2. greatmiamisportsmind - Jun 17, 2014 at 10:32 AM

Followed by being hurt again in 2 weeks

• chicitybulls - Jun 17, 2014 at 11:11 AM

Like lebron cramping again?

• scoochpooch - Jun 17, 2014 at 1:09 PM

You’re comparing cramping up in 120 degree heat to a guy who is perpetually injured and hates basketball? You must have excelled on your SATs.
        Why does every Bull fan defend Rose? Injuries have ended his career and his hatred of basketball is keeping him off the court. You should be hoping thwy can unload him not keep him.

• chicitybulls - Jun 17, 2014 at 5:51 PM

It wasn’t 120 degrees so you may want to check your facts there bud (and yeah btw, I did pretty well on my SATs). Where do you get your FACTS from that he hates basketball? Because he wants to make sure he’s right before he takes the court? I can tell you are no athlete. No one who spent the time to make it to the NBA and then work hard to become the youngest MVP in league history can all of a sudden hate something that has built his financial life and provided for his family. Career ended? I didn’t read where he retired from the league but maybe you’re like a lot of writers. You have “sources”.

• chicitybulls - Jun 17, 2014 at 6:39 PM

On another note poochie, I have a question for you. Why does every non Bulls (or even Bulls) fan feel the need to attack Rose? What has he done to YOU or your team to make you hate or dislike the guy? Get hurt? That’s a reason to attack or not like him? Really? But to answer your question, Bulls fans defend him because he plays for a team they root for. Not that hard to figure out. Certainly a scholar like yourself can understand that simple concept.

• chicagosports2014 - Jun 17, 2014 at 11:47 AM

last fiba games rose became mvp👍

3. nykfanwakemeupin2015 - Jun 17, 2014 at 10:33 AM

Still think this guy is too fast and too athletic for his own body to handle

• money2long - Jun 17, 2014 at 10:39 AM

Wrong

• misremembered72 - Jun 17, 2014 at 10:54 AM

I think I might agree. The way he contorts his body on slashes to the hoop and jump stops, concerns me moving forward.

• ranfan12 - Jun 17, 2014 at 12:53 PM

He should invest in a special team of athletic scientists to develop special d-rose gear to help take some strain away

4. hwatt - Jun 17, 2014 at 10:46 AM

i swear if he breaks one more thing the last half of Chicago fans are done with him. He already lost the first half of us

• chicitybulls - Jun 17, 2014 at 11:13 AM

Well if those of you are done with him, when he comes back and is as effective as ever, don’t come back. Stay away. You’re either with him and the team or you’re not. No room for bandwagon or fake fans in THIS city.

• scoochpooch - Jun 17, 2014 at 1:11 PM

ChittyBulls is dreaming.
        He was great but he is done.

• chiadam - Jun 17, 2014 at 12:12 PM

Stay gone then. And don’t speak for half a city based on your own stupidity. He got hurt. It happens.

• hwatt - Jun 17, 2014 at 12:27 PM

dude half the thumbs I got were up, which means I’m spot on with half. you guys need to find something else to take more seriously than basketball

• chicitybulls - Jun 17, 2014 at 5:58 PM

watt, at the time of THIS post you have 22 “up” and 44 “down” which means only a third of the people agree with you (if you’re into that sort of thing and need that to validate your comment). I take a lot of things more seriously than basketball, but like you I wanted to comment. So because you decided to comment does that mean you take basketball more seriously than you should?

• hwatt - Jun 17, 2014 at 6:43 PM

the comment on ‘seriousness’ has everything to do with the anti-bandwagon attitude, not frequency of commenting. I assumed people who don’t care for bandwagoners took things too seriously. Maybe I’m wrong, perhaps it’s just passion for the game. I just don’t get all the hate for people who will only support when there’s something worth supporting

• chicitybulls - Jun 17, 2014 at 8:01 PM

I mean if you’re only going to root for a winner then you’ll be cheering for new teams every year. If you’re a fan you have to be there when it’s good and when it’s bad (imo). Case in point, a buddy of mine who grew up with me in Chicago was a huge Bulls fan. Back in the 90s we celebrated every championship like most of the city did. But when Mike retired and they broke up he stopped being a fan and now guess who’s his favorite team? I dont think that just because you stick with a team when it’s bad it doesn’t mean you take it too seriously. To me, it has to do with team loyalty. I just think it’s weak to only root for a winner just because their winning and no other reason.

• hwatt - Jun 17, 2014 at 9:21 PM

yeah when Mike left at the end of the 90s I just dropped out of watching ball alltogether, and hated Phil big time for helping Kobe out. I have a respect for championship-caliber teams but I wouldn’t say I’m a fan of them. That implies following near every game, and I certainly don’t do that. But I’m not gonna follow every game of a team that’s stinking it up either, I’ll just turn everything off and wait till next year. These leagues are supposed to be pleasant entertainment, if I needed lessons in presevering through hard times I wouldn’t have to turn on basketball. When D.Rose breaks something that’s heartbreaking stuff, I don’t want to keep getting my hopes up every year and this dude never delivers. Hopefully that’s all behind us and I can actually follow games again. But I can’t spend 2.5 hours a night watching failing teams, I got time to post but not time to watch failing attempts

• terrence1922 - Jun 20, 2014 at 11:07 AM

Yea right. Guys like you are called Fair weather friends i’ve been a bulls fan since 1990. I’ll never give up on Rose and will never ever give up on my bulls. Rose isn’t playing for the likse of you. So you can kick rocks bro cuz D Rose doesn’t need you.

• hwatt - Jun 20, 2014 at 1:03 PM

yup, fair weather for life. I’ll laugh it off every time, bro. I’ll be having fun grilling outside while you cry tears over DRose’s latest injury. Then I’ll reward the team if they win anything with a T-shirt purchase. gotta earn it.

5. bucrightoff - Jun 17, 2014 at 10:49 AM

Doesn’t matter if he can play tomorrow. Will he be playing March 1st next year is the bigger question. Hopefully he can cause the East needs more teams who don’t suck.

• jimeejohnson - Jun 17, 2014 at 10:52 AM

Like those putrid Knicks and they’re jealous hater fans.

• bealwithit - Jun 17, 2014 at 12:45 PM

Hopefully he does. I see the East being a lot better next year though when Rose, Horford, and Lopez come back to their playoff teams. And if Love gets traded to the East another team will get better. There are also a lot of young teams that could be a lot better next year.

6. jobber33 - Jun 17, 2014 at 10:55 AM

Yep, when the season for the team that pays him millions is over he’s ready to play. The guy is a soft, fragile player and not worth the money he’s getting paid. Time for the Bulls to unload him and get a guy that can make it from start to finish.

• chicitybulls - Jun 17, 2014 at 11:14 AM

jobber, what kind? Hand or blow? What’s your specialty?

7. rajbais - Jun 17, 2014 at 11:22 AM

In response to the headline: D-Rose “can” technically hurt his own knee again.

His best option is to turn into Chauncey Billups. Then his career can last longer.

• mcjon22 - Jun 17, 2014 at 12:49 PM

I think people forget he tore his meniscus, n

• mcjon22 - Jun 17, 2014 at 12:54 PM

I think people forget he tore his meniscus, not his ACL Again. It’s not as serious an injury, just a long recovery when you repair it rather then just have it removed. Russell Westbrook looked pretty good this year coming off the same injury, did he not?

It has also basically given his ACL over to years to heal and get stronger as well. With him getting to work of the rust with team USA and Chicago seemingly willing to do anything to get another scorer next to him, he should be in a far better position to ease his way back to form and not have the weight of the teams offense on his shoulders.

• mcjon22 - Jun 17, 2014 at 12:55 PM

Two* not to, f$&ing IPhone

8. mightbegoingtohellforthis - Jun 17, 2014 at 11:23 AM

Let’s just hope he doesn’t sprain his vajayjay again.

• asimonetti88 - Jun 17, 2014 at 11:30 AM

Oh yeah, because torn ACLs and meniscus are injuries that you can just tough out.

9. ravenswhat - Jun 17, 2014 at 11:41 AM

Rose..it’s not ringing a bell. Isn’t that the guy who stole LeBron’s MVP trophy 3 years ago?

• kb2408 - Jun 17, 2014 at 12:18 PM

LeBron…it’s not ringing a bell. Isn’t that the guy who’s team stole San Antonio’s title last season? But it’s now back in the hands of its rightful owner.

• chicitybulls - Jun 17, 2014 at 6:04 PM

Ravens? Ohhh, that’s that team with that guy who beat up his fiance….in public….on tape. Nevermore.

• ranfan12 - Jun 17, 2014 at 9:07 PM

Need to get those burns treated ASAP

10. kb2408 - Jun 17, 2014 at 12:15 PM

Rose needs to be more vocal with the Bulls about adding more talent. Melo is exactly what they need. Look at Dirk, he’s recruiting Melo through the media and letting management know his feelings at the same time. The Bulls can’t keep wasting time and letting opportunities go by without adding to their team. They have a former league MVP on their roster who isn’t even near his prime yet, a Defensive Player of the Year, a top 3 coach and great role players…their roster is begging for a pure scorer like Melo. Letting him go to Miami would be foolish.

• antistratfordian - Jun 17, 2014 at 1:01 PM

“They have a former league MVP on their roster who isn’t even near his prime yet…”

You speak of Rose as if it’s early 2011-12 and he hasn’t yet torn the ACL in one knee and the meniscus in the other.

FAs who are on the market for a contender are naturally going to be wary of his injury history.

11. bealwithit - Jun 17, 2014 at 12:39 PM

D-Rose shouldn’t be a lock to make team USA after missing so much time and playing the league’s deepest position. But he will be because of Coach K’s bias.

Coach K is biased against John Wall because he is from North Carolina, but chose to bring Kentucky back to relevance instead of going to Duke. I think that is the same reason why Team USA needs centers, but DeMarcus Cousins doesn’t even get considered. Coach K sets it up so Kyrie can show out, but doesn’t even consider Wall.

Seriously, how do injured guards like Deron Williams and Derrick Rose get invites while Wall, who just led his team as an All Star and played 82 games, can’t?

• dexregeant - Jun 17, 2014 at 3:31 PM

bc he can’t shoot.

• chicitybulls - Jun 17, 2014 at 6:15 PM

Let me try to break it down for you in a real basketball sense. The international game is different and you need players that can play that style. You need shooters. As dex pointed out, Wall can’t shoot yet so he shouldn’t be considered at this point. Same with Demarcus. He’s a really good player but he’s not a shooter (not to mention his attitude. Do you want him to represent the country by getting technicals?). The international game isn’t a throw it in the post game. It’s spread out. Maybe Demarcus will get there one day but it has 0 to do with a bias.

And Rose isn’t a lock to make the team. He’ll get an invite and will have to earn his spot on the team like everyone else should have to. I mean if he’s back to his old self, would you not want him on the team?

12. patriotsarespygaters - Jun 17, 2014 at 1:24 PM

and get hurt again?.. no point

13. mnsadsportsfan - Jun 17, 2014 at 7:59 PM

Yeah right haha thats a good one! Keep cashin those checks D-Rose!

14. enigma2742 - Jun 18, 2014 at 2:15 AM

BULLCRAP

Will LeBron get booed Christmas Day in Miami?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches