2014 NBA Draft Preview: Philadelphia 76ers

Jun 17, 2014, 11:36 PM EST

brett sam hinkie 21

Picks: 3. 10, 32, 39, 47, 52, 54

Needs: The rebuild began in earnest in Philadelphia a season ago, and as long as you’re not into winning, things got off to a fantastic start. Michael Carter-Williams took home Rookie of the Year honors, while the player selected five spots earlier in the 2013 draft, Nerlens Noel, sat out the entire year — primarily due to injury, though he may have been healthy enough to play near the end of the season.

For a team that endured a 26-game losing streak before it was eventually snapped, however, rushing players back to seek additional wins wasn’t in the plans.

With two lottery picks already on the roster, the Sixers need to add more complementary talent to begin to build a team capable of developing into a successful ongoing concern. With the third overall pick, there will be guys there capable of potentially becoming building blocks for the future. It gets more murky further down the draft board, of course, but that’s where scouting comes into play, and for a team essentially starting from scratch, player development and front office stability will be what’s most important in turning the franchise around.

Trade possibilities: The Sixers appear to have locked in on Andrew Wiggins, especially given the way they behaved when they had him in for a pre-draft workout this week. There are plenty of mock drafts that have him still available at three, with Joel Embiid and Jabari Parker being selected with the first two picks. But Philadelphia may not want to take any chances, so it has been engaged with Cleveland in discussions about trying to trade for the number one pick.

The Sixers haven’t been willing to part with picks 3 and 10 to make that happen, however, and that’s probably a wise choice, given both the probability that Wiggins will still be there, along with the fact that guys like Parker or Embiid would be available by default if Wiggins were already gone. Philadelphia might give up the three and Thaddeus Young in a deal, which would rid the team of its last capable veteran who also happens to be the highest paid player on the roster.

Predictions: Even the Sixers, who embraced rebuilding to the point of absurdity last season, wouldn’t use all of their picks with the intent of adding seven rookies to the mix for next season. The ones in the later rounds will either be European prospects who can be stashed for the future, or players who will be glorified training camp invites that will have to prove themselves in order to be signed for next season.

If a trade agreement can’t be reached with the Cavaliers, Wiggins might still be the one the Sixers end up with, and that appears to be their wish. In the event that he’s off the board, however, ending up with Embiid, Parker, or even someone like Dante Exum wouldn’t appear to be a bad consolation prize.

1. campcouch - Jun 18, 2014 at 1:32 AM

I thought Noel was picked by the Pels and traded for Holiday? I’m not sold on them wanting Wiggins. I think they really want Embiid and want to pair him and Noel. They can get a good SG/SF at the 10 slot. I believe they’re worried that Cleveland is going to take Embiid so they’re trying to convince them that Wiggins is their man. Thaddeus Young gave them 17 ppg at the SF/PF position so the should be set at the 3. Maybe they can grab Nik Stauskus for the 2 guard spot.

• sumkat - Jun 18, 2014 at 1:34 AM

Why would they want to pair Embiid with Noel? So they have 2 skinny big men that are projects in the post, to team up with their poor shooting PG? Is the goal to break the record for lowest PPG since the shot clock?

It’s debatable if they should take Embiid if they pick at 3 and Parker/Wiggins are off the board. He is not in any way their first choice

• skulman7 - Jun 18, 2014 at 10:52 AM

I’ll start by saying I want Wiggins most out of the top 3 and I’m sure the Sixers feel the same way.

I dont think Embiid would scare them at all though (but I’d be shocked if he’s there at 3 with all the reports). Sixers aren’t worried about contending next year, they have a long term plan and a coach who specializes in player development. I don’t think they’d be that upset with two elite athletic big men to work with and build their team around. Those types of players are a premium.

I think they’ll get Wiggins or Parker. Not because they don’t like Embiid, but because I’ll be very surprised if CLE/MIL doesn’t take him

• cno2345 - Jun 18, 2014 at 9:49 AM

I see what you’re saying, but there are a couple of things. Hinkie has his eyes set on getting Wiggins. Thad also doesn’t want to be involved in the rebuild, so that makes him a great asset and expendable.

So, they are going to move Thad and find his replacement. That’s (hopefully) Wiggins. What will be interesting is what they will do with 10th pick.They can try to move up to 7-8 range and get a PF (Vonleh, Randle, Gordon) or stay and get a SG (Stauskas, Harris).

Wiggins is listed as a SG however, so I’m not sure if Hinkie plans him being a SF or SG. Whatever it is, I can’t wait for this draft!

2. saint1997 - Jun 18, 2014 at 3:35 AM

Get Wiggins and establish an athletic running identity with Wigg, MCW and Noël. Then draft a good shooting 2 guard with the 10th pick (Stauskas/Harris) for options in the half court as well as an Embiid post up or MCW pick and roll. Thad Young works well in that system

3. mungman69 - Jun 18, 2014 at 7:30 AM

I’d be stunned if Embiid is still there at 3. The Sixers don’t want him AND Noel. I think that they will sit and wait.

4. udkidd - Jun 18, 2014 at 11:51 AM

I think the Sixers, unless trade down, will not land Wiggins. I have this feeling that we will end up with Parker.

5. tcclark - Jun 18, 2014 at 10:50 PM

Chad Ford has the Sixers getting Wiggins at 3 and Randle at 10. If that happens I might literally crap my pants…. like dead serious.

Who will land Josh Smith?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches