Jun 16, 2014, 11:44 AM EDT
The Lakers are reportedly waiting to let LeBron choose their next coach, and I don’t believe it’s coincidence a report about LeBron’s unlimited options used the Clippers as its primary example.
Among the cities lining up to lure LeBron from the Heat, Los Angeles seems to be at the forefront.
a source said James and his wife, Savannah, love Los Angeles. LeBron James also is close with Clippers point guard Chris Paul and he admires coach Doc Rivers.
Spears is a reliable reporter, and I’m convinced he’s right: LeBron loves Los Angeles. I know LeBron also loves Miami. I bet he loves New York, too. (Sit down, Knicks fans.)
There are probably several cities LeBron enjoys. That doesn’t mean he’s leaving the Heat.
The Clippers are a non-starter unless Donald Sterling no longer owns the team. Although that seems likely before next season, it might not be sewn up before LeBron is ready to sign. Even if Sterling is ousted in time, the Clippers have no cap room. LeBron would have to convince Pat Riley to do a sign-and-trade, probably based around Blake Griffin.
The Lakers have bottomed out, and LeBron alone won’t make them stronger than the Heat were with him. Kobe Bryant is no longer the player he once was, and his salary drastically limits the Lakers’ options. If LeBron wants a situation like that, he might as well stick with Dwyane Wade. Maybe Carmelo Anthony also joining the Lakers would interest LeBron, but again, why not just do that in South Beach?
LeBron has been conspicuously mum about whether he will even terminate his contract to become a free agent this offseason. Asked last night about his decision, he said, “I haven’t even really thought about that just yet.”
Until he does, we’re left just grasping at clues about his future. His fondness for Los Angles is one piece, but in the bigger puzzle, it probably doesn’t mean much.
- Bulls owner issues statement refuting rift between Bulls front office, Derrick Rose 4
- If traded before World Cup starts could Kevin Love still play for USA? Colangelo said it’s possible. 2
- Anthony Davis steps into spotlight, is Team USA’s lynchpin 17
- Referee Violet Palmer comes out publicly as gay 45
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 89
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 61
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 30
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 43