Jun 16, 2014, 11:01 AM EST
The Bulls should look at their roster, built around Derrick Rose and Defensive Player of the Year Joakim Noah on a foundation of Tom Thibodeau’s defense, then look at the rest of the Eastern Conference, and know they are close to contending.
They need to stay healthy, first. Then they need just one more piece, ideally a forward who can become a reliable second scoring option.
And they are willing to do just about anything to get that piece, reports Joe Cowley of the Chicago Sun Times.
According to several NBA sources Sunday, the Bulls have been actively looking to improve the starting lineup at almost any cost, with Derrick Rose the only untouchable player — and not by choice.
“They are looking to exhaust as many assets as it will take,’’ one source said of general manager Gar Forman and head of basketball operations John Paxson….
Carmelo Anthony is still Plan A as the Bulls and the rest of the NBA await to see if the Knicks forward will opt out of his contract. But the Bulls are more active in their pursuit of Kevin Love than initially rumored. Also, don’t rule out LeBron James coming into play again if the four-time MVP opts out of his deal.
I like that they are aggressive, that Carlos Boozer being amnestied and the willingness to move their two first round picks and other assets are in play.
But if you add Anthony or Love at the cost of Taj Gibson, is that too high a price? Noah has said it is. I think if you can add one of those two big name forwards to a front line rotation with Noah and Gibson, with a hopefully healthy Rose, you are potentially the best team in the East. Certainly in the mix.
But if you sacrifice too much depth to get the stars…. did you watch the NBA Finals that just ended and see what a lack of depth helped do to the Heat?
- Russell Westbrook takes knee to face, it leaves dent (VIDEO) 13
- Former All-Star, popular Knick Anthony Mason dies at age 48 12
- Russell Westbrook posts third straight triple-double, Thunder lose anyway 6
- Shane Battier: ‘I think a 60-game season would be perfect’ 15
- Kyrie Irving has strained left shoulder, out Friday vs. Pacers 0
- Derrick Rose expected to return in 4-6 weeks. In time for playoffs. 20
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Thursday: The Cavaliers we expected have arrived 17
- Report: George Karl controls Kings’ personnel, wants Ty Lawson, willing to move DeMarcus Cousins 29