Ray Allen to mull retirement or returning for one more run at a ring

Jun 16, 2014, 9:59 AM EST

2014 NBA Finals - Practice Day And Media Availability Getty Images

SAN ANTONIO — The first words out of Ray Allen’s mouth on the subject were the Heat’s company line on the future when asked where things were headed in the wake of a Game 5 loss to the Spurs and the Heat being eliminated from the NBA Finals.

“I’m not even at that point yet,” when asked if he had considered retirement.

But Allen later told Brian Windhorst of ESPN he would get to that point in the coming days, that a big decision is looming.

“I’ve had a great career, I’m content with what I’ve done,” Allen said. “It’s hard to think past this moment. In the next couple of days I’ll think about it and see where my true heart lies.”

Allen, 38, has played 18 NBA seasons. He is an unrestricted free agent. While Heat coach Erik Spoelstra moved him into the starting lineup for Game 5, that was more of a desperation move because Mario Chalmers had fallen off the map. Allen played in 75 games and is one of the better conditioned athletes in league, if he wants to be a role player next season (in Miami or somewhere else) he could do it.

“One thing is for certain, to [make retirement decision] on my terms is the most important thing,” Allen said. “Whether that is me retiring, staying here or going somewhere else it will be on my terms. I’ve made it to this point and I felt great that I have the choice to make it for myself.”

Allen knows he doesn’t have a lot of years left, and he showed leaving Boston he is willing to leave a lot of money on the table to chase more rings.

He just has to decide if he wants to continue that chase.

1. mnsadsportsfan - Jun 16, 2014 at 10:03 AM

Retire. Your game is done!

• cruzan80 - Jun 16, 2014 at 10:34 AM

This Heat team is done….Ray Allen is not.

2. cantonbound13 - Jun 16, 2014 at 10:14 AM

So where are you going next bandwagon Ray? San Antonio?

• spursareold - Jun 16, 2014 at 10:17 AM

SA doesn’t sign old role players any more.

• cruzan80 - Jun 16, 2014 at 11:12 AM

That may be true but you have to admit that it would be a nice addition to the Spurs if they signed Ray Allen….especially if Mills leaves in free agency.

• spursareold - Jun 16, 2014 at 12:10 PM

He doesn’t play enough defense to stay on the floor.

3. casualcommenter - Jun 16, 2014 at 10:22 AM

Allen is still deadly from 3, but man, his defense is hard to watch.
    The Spurs on offense went at him relentlessly, and his complete inability to stop dribble penetration is one of the reasons why the Spurs scored so efficiently.

The only reason why he started over Chalmers was that Chalmers was awful on both ends of the floor.

So Allen still probably has a solid year or 2 left, but he needs to stick to the bench.
    He simply can’t guard starting caliber players at all.

4. docsweeney - Jun 16, 2014 at 10:22 AM

I love that photo. That is this guy’s face every single time. Looks like he’s chronically pissed off.

5. cluelessdufus - Jun 16, 2014 at 10:27 AM

He still has a place in the league. I could see if he was in a Stephen Jackson or Marcus Camby situation where you don’t gain a lot offers from teams and barely play, but the guy still is deadly from 3 and is pretty respected from players. If you still wanna play then play.

6. kghane - Jun 16, 2014 at 10:51 AM

Ray Ray is still a lethal 3 point shooter. I’d say he has 2 years max left in him, and I don’t think he should retire after a devastating loss like that. I also would like to see him be the first to reach 3,000 3 pointers made in the regular season alone; I believe he’s about 30 threes away. What a milestone that would be!

7. hwatt - Jun 16, 2014 at 11:17 AM

OKC may be interested in replacing their dear Derek Fisher.

8. miamatt - Jun 16, 2014 at 11:32 AM

C’mon back, Ray. You still have a role in Miami.

9. loungefly74 - Jun 16, 2014 at 11:33 AM

Man…all i can think about is how Manu just flung Ray out of the way towards that dunk. i rewatched it several times. a great scene.

Ray is another guy that if retiring should be happy…he had a great career and has accomplished many great things.

10. lakerade - Jun 16, 2014 at 11:46 AM

He joins Melo in Chicago.

• sportsfan18 - Jun 16, 2014 at 8:41 PM

Nope… Ray wants rings… and he knows that Melo will never win a ring (even if he played with Lebron)…

11. 1heatedtoombrayduh - Jun 16, 2014 at 11:52 AM

If he does retire, I thank him for a great an awesome basketball career…and one hell of a movie (Jesus!) when its all said and done, when he got game turns into he had game…ray can look back and say i have done it all..with one of the purest shots ever to boot

• sportsfan18 - Jun 16, 2014 at 8:45 PM

And with like the 8th most money ever earned in the NBA too…

He’s made over $184 million in his career…

4 ahead of him for sure are KG, Kobe, Dirk and Shaq

12. Big Ant TV - Jun 16, 2014 at 1:18 PM

another legend of da game i think ray needs go too a team like the knicks be a role player or even okc with durant if not retire bro you’ve done it all

13. mazblast - Jun 17, 2014 at 2:26 AM

No D, and in The Finals, no O, either. What was he, something like 3 for 23?

He’s had a nice run as a #3-4 option. Time to start a career as a talking head or jump shot teacher. Given the loathsome state of shooting in the league, lots of teams should be willing to hire him to do nothing but teach their guards to make shots.

Who will land Josh Smith?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches