Jun 16, 2014, 2:11 PM EDT
If the 2014 NBA draft is short on anything, it’s 7-footers.
Joel Embiid is the only 7-footer who’s a first-round lock, though Walter Tavares could slide into the late first.
Missing from consideration? Seven-foot forward Kristaps Porzingis.
In somewhat of a surprise, 7-foot Kristaps Porzingis has pulled out of this month’s NBA draft and will return to Europe for the next year, his agent Andy Miller told Yahoo Sports on Sunday night.
Porzingis is just 18, and he has time to enter the draft in any of the next few years. He’s long, athletic and versatile, but he must add strength. It’s certainly possible he blossoms into a top pick in 2015 – he was projected as a mid-first rounder this year – but the extra season in Europe might just give scouts more time to find his flaws.
Nikola Jokic, a second-round prospect, is also reportedly withdrawing.
Nikola Jokic, 95, withdraw his name from the draft. He will play next year for Mega Vizura!—
Misko4Raznatovic (@MiskoRaznatovic) June 16, 2014
Update: Jokic remained in the 2014 draft.
The deadline to withdraw from the draft is 5 p.m. today, but college players have already lost their NCAA eligibility, so the deadline really applies only to international players.
- Mavericks signing Al-Farouq Aminu to two-year, minimum salary contract 5
- Report: Ballmer’s $2 billion Clippers offer nearly double what Bank of America valued team at 12
- Report: Jameer Nelson near $2.7 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 13
- Report: Mavericks void Rashard Lewis’ contract after it’s discovered he needs knee surgery 10
- Report: Sixers, Nuggets or Celtics could become third team in Kevin Love trade to Cavaliers 48
- Five biggest surprises from Summer League 13
- Justin Bieber and Kevin Durant share brunch (photo) 22
- Clippers CEO: If Sterling remains owner then Doc Rivers, players, sponsors all ready to bolt 61