Jun 15, 2014, 5:00 PM EDT
You can be sure that after the Los Angeles Clippers price tag was $2 billion, a number of NBA owners took a step back and thought about how much they could make selling their team. You can be sure a few of them listened to offers.
That’s different from selling.
“We have no interest in selling the team,” Prokhorov said in a statement….
It has been public knowledge that Bruce Ratner, who owns up to 20 percent of the team, has been looking to sell. Plus there are about 100 other minority owners. After the Clippers mess broke, people wanted to know what they had.
One thing to remember is that for Prokhorov and Ratner this is more than about owning the team and Barclay’s Center, they are the driving financial forces behind new housing and restaurant/shopping plazas going around Barclays. This is a real estate play, with the new arena and the Nets (and in a couple years the NHL’s Islanders) as the anchors that bring people and energy to the area.
That doesn’t mean one or the other will not sell, but Prokhorov may not be in a rush.
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 6
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 9
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 27
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 32
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 4