Jun 15, 2014, 5:00 PM EDT
You can be sure that after the Los Angeles Clippers price tag was $2 billion, a number of NBA owners took a step back and thought about how much they could make selling their team. You can be sure a few of them listened to offers.
That’s different from selling.
“We have no interest in selling the team,” Prokhorov said in a statement….
It has been public knowledge that Bruce Ratner, who owns up to 20 percent of the team, has been looking to sell. Plus there are about 100 other minority owners. After the Clippers mess broke, people wanted to know what they had.
One thing to remember is that for Prokhorov and Ratner this is more than about owning the team and Barclay’s Center, they are the driving financial forces behind new housing and restaurant/shopping plazas going around Barclays. This is a real estate play, with the new arena and the Nets (and in a couple years the NHL’s Islanders) as the anchors that bring people and energy to the area.
That doesn’t mean one or the other will not sell, but Prokhorov may not be in a rush.
- Mavericks signing Al-Farouq Aminu to two-year, minimum salary contract 5
- Report: Ballmer’s $2 billion Clippers offer nearly double what Bank of America valued team at 12
- Report: Jameer Nelson near $2.7 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 13
- Report: Mavericks void Rashard Lewis’ contract after it’s discovered he needs knee surgery 10
- Report: Sixers, Nuggets or Celtics could become third team in Kevin Love trade to Cavaliers 48
- Five biggest surprises from Summer League 13
- Justin Bieber and Kevin Durant share brunch (photo) 22
- Clippers CEO: If Sterling remains owner then Doc Rivers, players, sponsors all ready to bolt 61