Jun 15, 2014, 5:00 PM EDT
You can be sure that after the Los Angeles Clippers price tag was $2 billion, a number of NBA owners took a step back and thought about how much they could make selling their team. You can be sure a few of them listened to offers.
That’s different from selling.
“We have no interest in selling the team,” Prokhorov said in a statement….
It has been public knowledge that Bruce Ratner, who owns up to 20 percent of the team, has been looking to sell. Plus there are about 100 other minority owners. After the Clippers mess broke, people wanted to know what they had.
One thing to remember is that for Prokhorov and Ratner this is more than about owning the team and Barclay’s Center, they are the driving financial forces behind new housing and restaurant/shopping plazas going around Barclays. This is a real estate play, with the new arena and the Nets (and in a couple years the NHL’s Islanders) as the anchors that bring people and energy to the area.
That doesn’t mean one or the other will not sell, but Prokhorov may not be in a rush.
- Ray Allen: “I won’t officially retire” 11
- Report: Adidas makes $200 million offer to James Harden 18
- Jahlil Okafor: “Rookie of the Year is one of the goals I set for myself” 15
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 9
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 4
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9