Erik Spoelstra looks for some way, anyway to get Heat to stamp “our identity” on Game 5

Jun 15, 2014, 7:17 PM EST

Erik Spoelstra Erik Spoelstra

SAN ANTONIO — For the past 24 hours, when you’ve asked coach Erik Spoelstra or the Heat players what adjustments they need to make to bounce back from a 3-1 deficit against the Spurs, you get some variant of “we just need to do what we do better.” It’s not new lineups or new match ups — Game 5 Sunday night will be the 14th meeting between these teams since the start of last year’s Finals, these teams know each other.

It’s about execution and that’s what Erik Spoelstra said he has emphasized in the last 48 hours.

“We met yesterday and talked about our approach for the next 24 hours,” Spoelstra said before Game 5. “We had a good day of work the day before that. We had a good day off to clear our minds, and this is about bringing our best game of the series….

“We’re looking to start better, but regardless of what happens, we have to find a way in this game. And we need consistent minutes where we’re imposing our identity on this game, which we’ve yet to do for an entire game.”

Maybe that is because they are coming out of a soft Eastern Conference, where they didn’t have to play at their peak for 48 minutes to advance. Maybe it’s because this is Game 14 between these teams since the start of last year’s Finals and San Antonio has gotten used to the pressure and style of the Heat.

Whatever the reason, this is not the first adversity the Heat have faced and this gives Spoelstra confidence.

“I love being in the trenches with this group when you’re in situations like this,” Spoelstra said. “You reveal your character. You real what you’re made out of when you’re facing adversity. Everybody can bid in the situation that the Spurs are in right now. It’s much more revealing when you’re in a situation like this how you respond, individually or collectively. How do we respond in a game like this? I love bing in the locker room with these guys in these situations.”

We will see what the Heat locker room is like after this game. That also could be telling.

1. sportsfan18 - Jun 15, 2014 at 7:32 PM

I’m rooting for the Spurs and lest we think this is over, these SAME Heat players have ALREADY won a game in San Antonio in THIS series.

Yes, the Spurs looked great in games 3 and 4…

But this is NOT games 3 and 4.

Each game is different.

Too late now as it’s close to tip off, but I’m sure Spo looked at the game film of their game 2 victory as that would be the most pertinent info and film for them to look at.

They obviously did something right and won in San Antonio like 5 days ago…

My fear is that if the Heat win this game, game 5, they’ll win at home for game 6 and then it’s an anything goes game 7.

Come on Spurs… close this thing out tonight.

2. ProBasketballPundit - Jun 15, 2014 at 7:37 PM

Miami’s identity this season has been aging role players, terrible gambles on Beasley & Oden, and mediocre defense. So… why not bench Rashard & Chalmers for Beasley & Oden then play the old guys too many minutes in crunch time?

3. elcapitanfiscal - Jun 15, 2014 at 7:47 PM

LeBron will beast his team to a game 6 in Miami…

Spurs fans, you better hope they close them out tonight.

4. marcusfitzhugh - Jun 15, 2014 at 7:56 PM

If they get blown out by 20 again, that will be their identity . . . . . . . for at least the next 12 months. Unless LBJ leaves, then it will be how they are remembered.

5. 00maltliquor - Jun 15, 2014 at 7:58 PM

Anti, where u at bruh!
    Against my own intuition, with my reads I flip flopped and ended up taking Miami today (I woke up thinking for sure I was going Spurs) WITHOUT the points straight up, moneyline. Went 1/3rd of my entire seasons bankroll (started NFL week 5) and have never had to have a re-buy (haven’t put any money in ever since). TODAY I AM the biggest Heat fan in the world, not u, not Pat Riley, no one! At least for this game.

HAPPY FATHER’S DAY P B T!

6. ravenswhat - Jun 15, 2014 at 8:02 PM

If the heat need motivation, they can just read any online headline. The dirt has been thrown on their graves by every site online. That would piss me off if I was the Heat.

7. robigd - Jun 15, 2014 at 8:05 PM

desperation is a stinky cologne

• 00maltliquor - Jun 15, 2014 at 10:38 PM

I know, I need a shower BADLY. uuggh

8. navyeoddavee9 - Jun 15, 2014 at 9:59 PM

elcapitan: doesn’t look like beast mode, but LBJ, will definitely be on his way back to Miami, to start vacation

9. kingperk123 - Jun 15, 2014 at 10:31 PM

BEAT THE heat!!

Is Derrick Rose the next Penny Hardaway?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches