Jun 14, 2014, 12:04 AM EDT
Officially no team can talk to a free agent until July 1. For example, the Bulls/Lakers/Rockets/Heat/etc. may want to talk to Carmelo Anthony, but they can’t make any kind of official contact with him until the calendar flips to July. (There are a myriad of ways to send a message through back channels to a player to let him know you’re interested, but that’s another story.)
With that, there are a lot of rumors right now and a lot of them come from agents who want to make it seem like there is real demand for their clients, driving up the price.
But sometimes the rumors make sense, in a basketball and money way. Like this one about Andray Blatche and the New Orleans Pelicans, via Alex Kennedy of Basketball Insiders.
I'm hearing there is mutual interest between the New Orleans Pelicans and free-agent-to-be Andray Blatche. Keep an eye on that after July 1.—
Alex Kennedy (@AlexKennedyNBA) June 13, 2014
The Pelicans have a potentially powerful front line with Anthony Davis and a hopefully healthy Ryan Anderson next season. Last season those two were supposed to be paired with Jason Smith and Greg Stiemsma, but that didn’t work out so well. Smith is a free agent and they could bring him back on an affordable contract, but they would like another quality big in that rotation.
Blatche is a quality big. His style of play would blend well with Davis and Anderson, and with how Monty Williams wants to play. There is a potentially good fit.
Of course, the Nets want him back and there will be other teams trying to get in the mix as well. Which is to say Blatche is going to make more than the $1.4 million he made last season. He has a nice raise coming.
- World Cup preview: No Durant, no problem USA still one of two teams with legit shot to win gold 1
- Cavaliers sold Kyrie Irving on contract extension with LeBron James-Kevin Love plan 32
- Kevin Love says Timberwolves owner should focus on his own team following trade to Cavaliers 34
- Iman Shumpert excited to play in triangle offense because he won’t just have to stand in the corner 9
- Timberwolves owner: Kevin Love might regret trade because he’ll be third banana with Cavaliers 48
- Anthony Davis and Kenneth Faried lead Team USA in final World Cup tune-up 20
- Thunder trade Hasheem Thabeet to 76ers 37
- From late-arriving to a LeBron James favorite, Kevin Love comes full circle 17