Jun 14, 2014, 12:04 AM EST
Officially no team can talk to a free agent until July 1. For example, the Bulls/Lakers/Rockets/Heat/etc. may want to talk to Carmelo Anthony, but they can’t make any kind of official contact with him until the calendar flips to July. (There are a myriad of ways to send a message through back channels to a player to let him know you’re interested, but that’s another story.)
With that, there are a lot of rumors right now and a lot of them come from agents who want to make it seem like there is real demand for their clients, driving up the price.
But sometimes the rumors make sense, in a basketball and money way. Like this one about Andray Blatche and the New Orleans Pelicans, via Alex Kennedy of Basketball Insiders.
The Pelicans have a potentially powerful front line with Anthony Davis and a hopefully healthy Ryan Anderson next season. Last season those two were supposed to be paired with Jason Smith and Greg Stiemsma, but that didn’t work out so well. Smith is a free agent and they could bring him back on an affordable contract, but they would like another quality big in that rotation.
Blatche is a quality big. His style of play would blend well with Davis and Anderson, and with how Monty Williams wants to play. There is a potentially good fit.
Of course, the Nets want him back and there will be other teams trying to get in the mix as well. Which is to say Blatche is going to make more than the $1.4 million he made last season. He has a nice raise coming.
- Derek Fisher questions ‘character and integrity’ of players after Knicks lose to Kings by 38 points 16
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Tuesday: The Hawks clinched playoff spot in front of Josh Smith 4
- Nuggets need to decide direction, then hire coach 18
- Report: Russell Westbrook ‘likely’ to return to Thunder lineup Wednesday, will wear protective mask 13
- Nuggets have fired head coach Brian Shaw 29
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Monday: Goran Dragic got his revenge in concentrated form 5
- League suspends James Harden one game for kick to LeBron James’ groin 23
- PBT’s weekly NBA Power Rankings: Hawks seem to be out of malaise. Maybe. 11